SOLUTION: Chia Light Wallet won't load on Fedora 33 / 34 / 35+

Symptom: You installed the RPM (either using software center or command line) and when you launch “Chia Blockchain” shortcut or chia-blockchain app, it fails on Fedora.

Details: Technically you’ll notice the chia-blockchain process and daemon start, you can find them in the process list, but no UI comes up.

You’ll also see if you launch from the command line, something like:

$ chia-blockchain 
Running python executable: 
child process success
Waiting for configuration file
(node:1924973) electron: The default of contextIsolation is deprecated and will be changing from false to true in a future release of Electron.  See https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/23506 for more information
No cert
Have cert
[1924973:0113/083809.529258:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(445)] GPU process isn't usable. Goodbye.
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Solution
Simple, add the --disable-gpu-sandbox command line arg to the launch of the application, like so:

$ chia-blockchain --disable-gpu-sandbox

It will launch and sync no problem.

Have fun!

Anyone that wants a BIT more detail with screenshots (like how to fix the shortcut), I wrote it up in a bit more detail on blog - Chia Light Wallet won’t load on Fedora 33 / 34 / 35+ – Riyad Kalla

1 Like

Hey Riyad
what is this Chia Light Wallet? How is it different than the one that comes with the Software?

As far as I can tell it’s PRETTY MUCH the wallet functionality included with the Node software - just pulled out into it’s own app.

It’s on the Download - Chia Network page, at the very bottom. This is the 1st Beta but it works fine and I like it.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks @rkalla

1 Like