SSD on exFAT or NTFS

hi!
is it better to have the ssd (sata) which creates the plots in ntfs or in exfat?

1 Like

Im interested to know this too!

It doesn’t really matter but I would choose NTFS for best compatibility with a variety of systems, personally.

I haven’t ran any tests but it seems like ext4 for ssds on Linux are a little faster. These are only used for tmp dirs, my external and hard drives are ntfs which I believe mount on OS X as read only.

On a side subject, what allocation unit size do you normally format the temp volumes? I have formatted mine to 2Mb (NTFS) as the temp files are relatively large. I believe it really doesn’t matter nowadays as the hard drive/SSD are big enough.

I just use whatever default values are. I haven’t done a lot of research. Right now I’m using 5 1TB ssd and 1 500GB ssd. All are formatted to ext since they are only going to be used with linux

I’m on Linux, and I initially tried to use exfat for my temp ssd, as I figured it was the “least” file system that one could use, no journal etc.

But sadly it doesn’t work because, at least in Linux, there is no TRIM support for exfat file systems. It might be supported in windows but I would just use NTFS if you aren’t willing to play around with it a bit and just want to start plotting.

I’m about to pop off to bed, but I’ll need to do more research to confirm this

exfat = not journaled
nfts = journaled

“File system journaling: This means that you can easily keep a log of⁠—and audit⁠—the files added, modified, or deleted on a drive. This log is called the Master File Table”

Doesn’t that mean for every 1 file written, another write is logged to this ‘MFT’ once as well?
But if exfat writes 1 file, it’s only 1 write

Thinking of flash memory endurance here

Journals are very nice for data security… It prevents a few bad disk sectors from ruining the entire file system… (edit it also helps fix writes during unexpected power failures) But they are entirely worthless for the temp drive of a plotting rig, because the data is by definition temporary. And it will slightly increase your write amplification factor, wearing out your drive slightly faster. But if you are on windows you may not have much choice but to just go ahead and use NTFS and accept the WAF increase (because running without TRIM will quickly give you effectively infinite WAF). Which is probably not even the biggest compromise you have to make anyway, as I understand it windows is fundamentally slower at plotting anyway.

I think you can delete and disable the journal on an NTFS volume

Been thinking about this too. I agree larger allocation units make sense for these large files.

1 Like