Start farmer on boot/reboot

Hi, Haven’t found a way around this on the forum or online but how does one auto start farmer now from cli on boot/reboot with the addition of passphrases? I updated and chia start farmer now asks for a passphrase so i imagine adding this into crontab wont actually boot the farmer anymore. How can I get around this?

I’m on 1.2.11 and I did the passphrase on the previous version but I have never been asked to enter my passphrase. Very puzziling.

2 Likes

If you start it from a command line, did you try to add that password at the end like:

chia start node < YOUR_PASSWD

Although, if you need to do it like that, what is the point of that password?

Havent tried, I found a way round anyway I just deleted config and keychain folder and it pulled the stored one from credential manager. I suppose it would avoid a simple script from finding. they would have to go into my crontab to see what i had set my password to if that worked

2 Likes

Does it mean that you have just found the very first option to crack the password protection?

no just that im susceptible to someone running a script to grab my keys from a command line. Credential manager is secure just that the info isnt protected from a passphrase through the chia app. I found out you can put the passphrase in a text file and reference it with, chia --passphrase-file “./file” start farmer

2 Likes

Please can you tell me how make it to work?

I have done:
chia --passphrase-file “…/…/mydir1/mydir2/mydir3/p” start farmer
(Unlock Keyring) Passphrase:

And still prompt.

1 Like

Take a look at this github write up, especilaly Passphrase From a File section:

If I would have to guess, you may have a new line at the end of your password, as they warn that “Note that whitespace is not stripped from the passphrase when read from a file.”

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I’m not using whitespaces. Also added a new line in the end of my file.

Still doesn’t work for me.

Q: The content of my file must be my passphrase in text mode → Is it correct?

No, you should not have any leading/trailing whitespaces in that file; therefore, no extra new lines.

You can also try the second form of providing your password, that is not using a file:

chia --passphrase-file <(echo -n ‘my super secure passphrase’) keys show

That is also my understanding, that is a clear text file.

chia --passphrase-file <(echo -n ‘my super secure passphrase’) keys show

Will we place Passphrase in plain text in place of “my super secure passphrase” ?