Struggling to stay synced

I just ran it, again:

Yeah, just a thought. 2nd time looks better. So variable, like your sync.
Mine are 4,7,3.
Why not give the upgrade a shot? Nothing to lose really.

I did, 10 minutes ago.

It claims to be syncing. But I have not seen it make any progress.
It has 2Ā½ hours to catch up (I had the computer down for a bit). Nothing wrong. Just a re-boot, and I walked away. So it sat for a while.

1 Like

I see some issue concerning that, here is my desktop as node trying to sync (not my running farm node) just now. Your download speed is quite limited. Itā€™ll likely end up doing it, but not quickly. Speed will be truncated. Not sure how that affects the whole process.

My WiFi sits at 0% utilization most of the time, and occasionally retrieves some data.
I watched it for a minute, and it always remained in the Kbps range (never flirted with Mbps).

Is the ā€˜turn off to save powerā€™ setting off for your wifi in device mgr?

Yes.
That used to be an issue.

Everything worked fine, but every couple of days my WiFi would go down ā€“ even though I set it to automatically re-connect.

Approximately 1 or 2 weeks ago, I found the setting you are referring to. It is not part of the power planā€™s list of settings.

Since then, my WiFi has never gone down.

XB3 is a model of Xfinity (Comcast) cable modems (made by Arris for them) then you have the xb6, xb7 and xb8 that have and support different features and upper speed abilities.

1 Like

So my problem did come back even after upgrading to the latest Chia code. Iā€™m hard-wired. I have great service, but I still lose connection. I tried port 1 on my route just for a kick because Iā€™m at a loss on why. Dust storms? I have a beefy server, so I would not think so, but alas, I could run- for weeks with no issue, and now I look twice a day to ensure it is running. Ugggg.

If it started playing up this week , we have had very high transaction numbers so bigger mempool which = more chain data to read / write.
Possibly your cause.

Look at monthly chart youll see what i mean.

2 Likes

My syncing problems is not entirely licked, either.

I will lose sync one or twice a week. It fixes itself, usually within 30 minutes. And the occurrences are becoming less and less.

I have not mentioned it here, because it is the same as before, and nothing new in the logs.

So you are not alone. I wonder who else is losing sync, and chooses not to chime in? Or perhaps they are not checking often, and do not even know that they lost sync and it fixed itself?

2 Likes

Even my old 8350 stays synced, not sure why you guys have issues.

Have you tried a wired connection yet?

1 Like

I have one running through my apartment. But my syncing issue has become so infrequent, that testing the issue is nearly impossible.

I have been stepping over this cable for 3 weeks. I am going to roll the cable back up.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

You know what might happenā€¦

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a joke in there somewhere that went over my head.

2 Likes

Iā€™m having trouble as well, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s unrelated to what you guys are experiencing. I kept thinking it was my coin stuff over the years that was the bulk of the network problems at our house until I did the math on how much data Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Prime/Disney were slurping up. I live in a house of TV junkies and there are always 2 or 3 Roku boxes running - always. Wired or wireless, my router can only do so much. Also Comcast oversold the line going to our block, so at 6PM when all the neighbors get home and they all turn on their netflix too, internet bogs down to joke levels of performace.

2 Likes

Im direct connect to a gig networkā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

I was also fine until 1.5 was introduced. Prior to that, I never had these issues. I will keep checking twice a day, but I wonder, by losing synch is that resetting my clock on chances of a block win? That would really suck if it was.

1 Like

I know people say that in here, but you have to believe in the numbers! We have the same chance to block this hour as we did last hour when it was offline. Itā€™d be a shame if that moment was your chance, but over time, it should not matter! It will average out just like all pools average out to 100% on the pool dashboards.

I am 99% certain that that is not the case.

My understanding is that challenges come in every 7 or 8 seconds.
You have the same chances of winning any one of those challenges.

Yes, there is an outside chance that while you were not synced for 30 minutes, that one of your plots would have won during one of those challenges. But it is unlikely.

If, for example, your estimated time to win is 10 days, then the odds that your horse came in during 30 minutes of those 10 days is unlikely.

If my math is correct, there are something like 10,800 challenges each day (10,800 chances for you or anyone to win). In 30 minutes of being unsynced, you were out of the running for 225 of those 10,800 chances for that one day.

There is no one, and there is no code, that checks when someone last won a block, and throws that person a bone if they have not won in a long while. Your plots are entering a lottery of sorts, that gets run every 7 or 8 seconds. Each one has nothing to do with any of the others.

2 Likes