Syncing too slowly, full sync taking too long

Issue: It takes hours upon days to be completely synced up

Full Node Status (as of typing this) = Syncing 14735/217739

Connection Status = Connected

Hardware = a single plotter and farmer, Win10, Xeon 2650 v2, 16GB RAM + a bunch of 1TB SSDs

Static IP has been set

Port 8444/8444 has been set on router for my static IP > port checkers online say port 8444 is open

Here’s a screenshot of my problem

There’s so many peers but as you can see, the MiB Down are tiny, and 95% of the peers have 0 Down

Speedtest gives me 80mbps up and down

My question is; this normal and I have to play the waiting game, or is there something wrong?

So far my troubleshooting has been the following, but none of them change the behavior

1. Stick the plotter/farmer in the DMZ
  2. Added the introducer introducer-apse.chia.net
  3. Added node.chia.net
  4. Disabled all software and hardware firewalls
  5. The good ole power cycle everything in the house method

How long has it been running? You didn’t actually say. I sync’d a fresh copy today in about ~9 hours. Tailing the log for “height” and it was steadily ticking up pretty quickly.

I installed the app on the 28th and started plotting away

On the 30th I noticed my finished plots haven’t started farming, and that’s when I performed the aforementioned troubleshooting steps. That was the first time I closed the Chia Blockchain app and caused the first interruption

This is what my farming overview screen currently looks like;

Not too long ago I shutdown my main plotter/farmer rig and installed the Chia Blockchain app on a separate computer to isolate the platform, but it’s just as slow, peak height increases by 3 every 3-5 minutes

The only isolation test I haven’t done yet is dragging my rig over to another house with a different ISP and router

I did a clean install at a datacenter on Friday around 12pm, and that machine was not fully synced until the next day. So yes, unfortunately, this is normal. It can take that long (8-12 hours) to sync the blockchain the first time.

That’s why for subsequent machines, it’s a good idea to copy the blockchain file over…

3 Likes

You’d think they’d have used some distributed file transfer protocol to make this snappy…something like BitTorrent…:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Do you plan on adding a download link for the Blockchain SQLite file?
I’m maxing out my 4 cores on i5 4570. When trying to update nodes.

It’s not safe to share the database with strangers.

He was making a joke.

1 Like

Does it contain personal data?

General principle: Don’t accept files from strangers.

3 Likes

9 mnth old post, honestly, why bother.
If you want to promote sonething just create a new thread.

1 Like

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future, Elysium Pool has released a [Chia blockchain bootstrap download service]Chia Blockchain Bootstrap Download | Elysium Pool, which distributes the blockchain database via torrent efficiently and quickly, helping users avoid long sync times while getting setup or recovering from a failure event.

@elysiumpool Could you stop spamming all threads with your service.

You offer no help, no understanding of the problems, just write some garbage and peddle your site.

2 Likes

So yes, unfortunately, this is normal. It can take that long (8-12 hours) to sync the blockchain the first time.

It’s been more like 8-12 days moving onto weeks. Both wallet and Farming Status.
I don’t know what else to do. Running version 1.2.11 on Debian. Deleted the files in the mainnet/wallet/db and then entered the 24 word and passphrase numerous times and nothing seems to work.
Watched lots of videos and tried their repairs, install the latest version of the software, which I have.
Port 8444 is open.

Any pointers.

It’s a couple of days that’s normal currently with the growing blockchain, but 8 or more is really bad.
If you delete the db files it will start from zero again of course but that’s not what you mean by 8-12 days I suppose!?!

What disk is your db directory on? HDD, SSD, NVME?
Syncing is very intensive for the processor, what is your CPU?

If all fails (and it’s not for lack of you having tried already!) you can download an actual blockchain db from a few providers these days.

https://elysiumpool.com/bootstrap/

for instance has this service.

Of course your wallet would still need to sync from zero and even that takes time, depending on your CPU power mostly but can be many hours (over 24 even).

The drives are HDD’s and the processor is a Ryzen™ 5 3600 Processor, 3.6GHz w/ 35MB Cache, 32 GB RAM, on an Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS.

Take a look at this thread - My sync remains 0 for last two days - as it is a bit related.

You need to provide more info / screenshots for anyone to be able to understand what is going on on your side and provide help.

1 Like

The pool shot shows a transaction that won’t complete and I think this is the problem.

1 Like

I would not worry about pool / wallet, as long as you are not fully synced.

Whether you have port 8444 open or not, it really doesn’t matter, as it is irrelevant for syncing.

Does it always show in the Full Node section as “Not Synced?” That implies that for whatever reason your node is not making syncing progress at all, so waiting will not help (will not fix itself). Although, on your Blocks section there are blocks that were processed on Feb 22. So, what happened that day? It kind of hints that your db may be corrupted (your box got rebooted while chia was modifying db?).

A screenshot of your Connections would help. If all Up/Down are at 0, that confirms that your node has stopped syncing.

Take a look at that other thread and follow instructions there to grab ERRORs from your debug.log file, as those most likely will point to a db corruption (whether blockchain or wallet).

Actually, as the wallet db is a secondary one, you can try to delete that wallet db (.chia/mainnet/wallet/db/*) and see whether it would help. If not, I think that all signs point to blockchain db corruption.

Your CPU would suggest that you should be able to sync in 2-3 days or so. Although, the media that holds your dbs (HD, SSD, NVMe?) could further slow it down (say 4 days).

Actually, do you still have room on your c: drive (assuming that your dbs are sitting on it)? Is that a HD or SSD?

[quote]=“Jacek, post:20, topic:1316”
Actually, as the wallet db is a secondary one, you can try to delete that wallet db (.chia/mainnet/wallet/db/*) and see whether it would help. If not, I think that all signs point to blockchain db corruption.

Your CPU would suggest that you should be able to sync in 2-3 days or so. Although, the media that holds your dbs (HD, SSD, NVMe?) could further slow it down (say 4 days).

Actually, do you still have room on your c: drive (assuming that your dbs are sitting on it)? Is that a HD or SSD?[/quote]
The drives are HDD. I have about 27 GB in the /home directory. I have deleted the wallet db numerous time from ./chia/mainnet/wallet/db

I’ll go over the other post