Tell me what you think about my site

Hi there Chia Community,

I am Chris Dupres and I run The Chia Plot, a news blog dedicated to all things Chia and Chia-related (also dedicated to annoying @sargonas).

I am curious what the Chia Community thinks about what I am doing, and what you think I can do to improve it. My background is in Enterprise Infrastructure and Security architecture, not web development, and The Chia Plot is the first real website I have managed. So I am also looking for any suggestions on how I can improve. Both technically and editorially.

Criticism need not be constructive, all feedback is welcome. If you hate my guts please tell me why in excruciating detail.

If anyone moderates this forum I would like to allow all abuse. I want honest feedback.

@dchuk edit, direct link to site:

1 Like

Hey Chris,

Massive fan of your website and regularly read your articles. I like how you stood your ground and declined a licence.

Keep up the great work.

Expressplots

2 Likes

Thank you! I really appreciate. Anything missing from the site you wish was there? Or more of?

1 Like

I would change the site title / links to white, looks more user-friendly, and perhaps have a article comparing plotting services? :stuck_out_tongue:

white =

That’s a super good suggestion and I’m going a step further and doing a complete visual overhaul for visual accessibility and adding a dark mode.

2 Likes

You might consider a user choice for a white or black background, much like the chia GUI or this site. Dark is more pleasing, esp. in the evening.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m going to do, but I also need a cookie warning working then too. You can actually do some cool stuff in terms of timing it to the users local timezone and going dark at night but Google basically punishes you for javascript now so it takes a lot of trial and error to get new functionality like that without destroying SEO.

1 Like

Added a dark mode and cookie warning, in dark mode it does the white-on-green like you have there. Let me know what you think!

Thank you for the feedback.

1 Like

The dark mode button is good, but can you move it to the upper-right corner? Next to the Discord link? The fixed position catches the corner of my eye and blocks the text as I’m reading.

As for the content, it’s great. Keep it up!

1 Like

I have to pay for that, and I think I’m going to be replacing it anyway. It flashes light mode between pages and its annoying.

Everything in Wordpress is annoying.

1 Like

At some point you could consider wordpress.org. You need to find somewhere to host it, but it also really opens up your options. It could be well worth it if you’re making a bit of money from affiliate links etc.

nah i like the idea of controlling all the infrastructure myself. My plan is to replace the existing theme with Elementor and rebuild it from scratch basically, with some of the functionality from sketchy plugins built in.

2 Likes