Temperature of drives

Yah, I think 194 is more common for temps. Not sure what that Airflow temp is, but that is the only one on that drive.

Although, it still didn’t work on your VM?

No sir, but I installed on baremetal and bada-bing bada-boom

But on the right side 49 (min/max 18/67)

1 Like

Yup, noticed that as well.

yes 49 is the current temp
18/67 is ur alltime minimal and maximal temp, 67 is a lot to much. temps over 60°C will result in decrading of smart values for temp. u alrady reached 0 for this^^ try to keep temps under 50°C so that ur drives dont die to fast.
@ [Jacek] for usb drives use the “-d sat” parameter
sudo smartctl -d sat -a /dev/sd[x] | grep Temperature

btw, with the watch command and smartctl u can easy ongoing overwatch the temps of all ur drives at onec not only for 1 drive (even CPU temp if ur using sensors)
very usefull if ur using it in a seperat window in GUI or a terminal multiplex server like tmux

1 Like

I don’t know if you have resolved your problem but I suggest you to install “psensor”. I have no idea about Ubuntu but I found it was really easy to install and easy to use. After install it you will see an icon in the launch area and you won’t need to write any command to launch it and you will have something similar to a GUI to check temperatures of your HDDs and another hardware components.

That worked perfectly TY. Now i need to work out how to monitor all the drives. I guess i can write a .sh with commands for all the drives.

psensor gives a nice graphical interface, but its only seeing one SSD (i have two in this machine) and one HDD (i have 7)

I don’t know where is the problem with psensor and your external HDDs. I have near 30 HDD in external enclosures from Icybox and I can see temperatures of them. When I installed psensor first I needed to install the sensors and it scan all my devices. I simply say yes to detect all and it works for me. I install psensor using CLI not from Snap or App Outlet.

I wrote them and here was a response this morning

from Vivek Gite nixCraft webmaster@cyberciti.biz

I checked my 22.04 LTS and hddtemp is removed from that release.But you can still install it, if you are comfortable with an older version, you can download older version and install it:

wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/h/hddtemp/hddtemp_0.3-beta15-53_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i ./hddtemp_0.3-beta15-53_amd64.deb

After installing it
roy@roy-OptiPlex-790:~$
roy@roy-OptiPlex-790:~$ sudo hddtemp /dev/sda
/dev/sda: Hitachi HDS721075KLA330: 47°C
roy@roy-OptiPlex-790:~$

Used smartmon tool as part of diagnostics of WD Elements drives that were going to sleep. Found that not all the SMART table items were implemented. Temperature was… Implemented a tabletop fan to blow across the 6 WD drives and that brought them down from borderline temperatures. After that, uninstalled smartmon as excess baggage.

On sdf, which reports fine with smartctl hddtemp doesn’t work

$ sudo smartctl -d sat -a /dev/sd[f] | grep Temperature
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   017   017   000    Old_age   Always       -       54 (Min/Max 17/55)
$ sudo hddtemp /dev/sdf
/dev/sdf: WD Elements 25A3: S.M.A.R.T. not available
sudo apt-get --purge remove hddtemp

hwinfo if you use a HBA