Temporary shutdown

I really need a battery, trying to sort that at the moment, but it would need more solar to make full use of it, which all adds up to a lot of money, and the DIY route whilst cheaper is complicated by red tape :frowning:

I also have a single 3080 mining, my Chia setup is earning Ā£2 a day, my 3080 is earning Ā£2 a day, 3080 rig uses 260w, Chia rig will be about 240w so not much difference, but the GPU was a fraction of what Iā€™ve spent on Chia, even if the GPU was over priced when I bought it.

Almost forgot the Helium miner, which until the price crashed was doing really well, but it only uses 5w, and was the cheapest to buy and setup. Thatā€™s earned an average of Ā£1.92 a day over the last 30 days.

Really hoping BTC, ETH, HNT and XCH all go up in value again.

1 Like

Your power consumprion is to high. I am usung one machine for plotting and farming.
My system is: hx1000 corsair platinum psu, asrock 570 gaming 4s motherboard, amd 3950x 16 core, 64 gb ram, one raid controller (10 watts).
My farm is 430 tib. I have 6 extarnal drives ranging between 6 and 18 tb and 20 internal 18 tb plus 2 internal 16 tb.
My power consumption while farming and plotting is around 350 Watts, only farming around 250 Watts. This results in 0,6 to 0,8 W per tib. Id say W per Tib will decrease if i ad more drives to my farm.

Every stock on the market IS vulnerable to this type of attack. I would say, however, that crypto is an easier target for the sharks. Blockchains have technical weaknesses (as you pointed out) and lack the typical board structure and strength that most large stocks have. In my opinion, crypto coins are an easier target than stocks are for many types of manipulation both internal and external.

I have moral qualms. Working with The World Bank is definitely a positive if you do not.

lolz! No ā€¦ I just dropped by and responded to a question. I have no regrets about dropping out of Chia or crypto in general. I do admit to missing my regular participation here. Helping, being helped, and even the occasional argument made the ChiaForum my favorite hangout for a long time. :grin:

I hope so too! The stomach ache would be welcome in return for seeing the members of this excellent forum and the many other crypto adopters see huge success. Unfortunately, it is the current reality that keeps giving me stomach aches.

Nope. I have zero crypto now. Got rid of my almost 1/10th BTC for over $5000USD. Sold off my excess hardware as well and turned my crypto and excess hardware into 75 more gold Maplegrams! :sunglasses: I Also put up much needed wallpaper and ceiling tiles in my living room and started a new youtube project!

I hope you, me, and the rest of us do well in our ventures!

You have always been an excellent source here at the forum.

Be well!

2 Likes

I do buy XCH in addition to farming. But, I would keep my farm up because it is more than just electricity. Iā€™m not going to leave all that $$ in hardware just sitting when it could be doing its job earning XCH. The current value of XCH (or whatever it is at that time) should not affect whether I farm or not. In fact, as the value goes down, my farm earns more as the netspace drops (people will leave as the subject of this thread shows). So, Iā€™ll take it. One way to look at it would be that Iā€™m willing to pay $28 per XCH and just leave it at that. If it gets down to $15, well, Iā€™m over paying but Iā€™m still earning XCH with focus on future value, not current. Allowing my investment to earn and not just buying alone.

Thatā€™s my view. I know if you just break it down into numbers, it doesnā€™t add up. Thatā€™s fine for me. As Iā€™ve said many times over the last year. I entered this with the plan of just letting it play out for 5 years and build my chest of XCH the entire time. Then see if I messed up. Iā€™m going to stay with that plan as long as the Chia team stay on the planned path. And they are. So I keep going. I know it will be rough. I really do think crypto is going to take a hit over the coming year or two. But that is the entire reason Iā€™m here. I think Chia has the answer to why crypto is in its current state. I just have to wait for it to build into what it can be. Could be wrong, who knows. Iā€™ll just trust my judgement and let it ride.

1 Like

I donā€™t think that is the full story. 200TB would cost you $4000?? and then you would keep them for maybe 10 years. The gpu is in landfill

I think that you are highly exaggerating both ways.

Searching for GPU mining life span, and virtually every link contradicts what you have stated. For instance something like that - ā€œIf you are looking for a ballpark figure, you should assume at least 3 years of life out of a GPU. 5 years would be a fairly average lifespan. Even 10 years isnā€™t unheard of.ā€

On the other hand, my luck with HDs is really good, so far but I was always buying something like RED / Hitachi / IBM before, never junk like those USB drives with 2 years of warranty. Since we are only 1 year in with those drives, it is just too early to say anything about those drives, especially that they will last for 10 years.

20 usd per tb is to much. I pay now not more than 14 euro per tb for new exos or wd hc550 all 18 tb in germany.

1 Like

Thanks all, great discussion. One thing to consider some research I have been doing indicates that itā€™s worth measuring hard driveā€™s power consumption because it does not always work out lowest per TB at highest capacity, unless youā€™re out on the margin with 18TB drives - that cost more initially.

Manufacturers claims regarding power consumption should be taken to be no more than loose estimates.

1 Like

Ok - i hope my hdd last 10 years because otherwise itā€™s hopeless.
I have some 15 year old GPUs that still work but they donā€™t work for mining. Itā€™s about efficiency after all

Were people mining 15 years ago on a PC??

Not me. I mined about 50p of bitcoin that I lost on mtgox and that was CPU I think. Edit About 12 years ago was the first gpu miner

Hereā€™s one from 2004, an x300 i think

I think Iā€™ll bin it