The importance of response time

Hello,

I know that the maximum answer is 5s but does it matter if I win or will I do it in 0.5s or 2s?
I have a Harvester dendym
Found 0 proofs. Time: 1.36221 s
And on another
Found 0 proofs. Time: 0.48368 s
I wonder if it matters to winning? If everything is less than 0.5s, will I have more to win than having 1-2s?

For best results you should stay below/up to 2 seconds.

My lookup time when I won blocks was around 0.7 - 1.3 s

Lookup time itself if it is in recomended time should not have influence on blocks win. The best prof for current challenge will win.

Thanks for the answer, now I’m wondering if it’s worth to go below 1s or leave it and stay at 1-2s?

You’re welcome.

With my knowledge you are OK with current lookup times.

What about yours signage points? This is also important thing. If you are loosing a few % or up to 15% you should be OK.

Can you tell us how to find it in the log?

find Chia config file config.yaml and set logs to INFO level instead of WARNING

then find debug.log

.chia/mainnet/log/debug.log

look for this:
…
:timer_clock: Finished signage point 61/64:
:timer_clock: Finished signage point 62/64:
:timer_clock: Finished signage point 63/64:

they should be in order from 1/64 to 63/64

then you will have one:

:timer_clock: Finished sub slot, SP 64/64,

and again:

:timer_clock: Finished signage point 1/64:
:timer_clock: Finished signage point 2/64:
:timer_clock: Finished signage point 3/64:
…

OR

instal farmr app and you will get all this statistic in one place with easy access via web browser

Ok I didn’t understand you :slight_smile:
I have chiadog and SPS I have all ok

I explained in simple way how find signage points in Chia log file and how they should look.

Here is bit more info what are they:

“Each plot has a unique plotID. Every 8 seconds, there is a signage point (sp) where the harvester checks if any of your plots are eligible for farming based on plot ID and that signage point. It looks up a random value called the quality string (qs) from part of the plot for those that are. Quality string is a small part of the whole proof, and it’s like your lottery ticket. You combine that with the signage point again to generate another random number H ( qa + sp ) = ( hashing the lottery drawing with lottery ticket ). The hash value gives you a completely random number between 0 and 1. If you are really close to 0, you win (based on the current difficulty) and if it wins, it then fetches the whole proof from the disk. This hopefully help you understand why you see the “Plots passed filter” on the Farm page.”

“Each sub-slot in the challenge and reward chains is divided into 64, smaller, VDFs, and between each of these small VDFs is a point called a signage point. Timelords publish the VDF output and proof when they reach each signage point. Note that both the challenge chain and the reward chains have signage points (but not the infused challenge chain). The number of iterations between each signage point is sp interval iterations, which is equal to sub slot iterations / 64.”

The upper limit for the farmer to claim rewards is about 30 seconds in total. I am not sure whether the same limit applies to sending partials from a farmer to a pool.

Sure it is 30 seconds in total. But if the lookup time will be longer that 2 seconds and your prof will win you may not have enough time to create block.

I think partials limit is 5 seconds but I’m not sure at least it was hpool policy.

1 Like

Why might it not have enough time to create a block?

Why would 2 seconds be different from 1.5 seconds or 3 seconds?

Is there an article containing a chart or a table showing reward failure rate as a function of proof lookup time?

Gentlemen, it probably doesn’t matter how to delve into the topic. There are often 1-3 prizes for one block, so it doesn’t matter who’s first.

How do you define “often”? If there is “often” 1 prize only (as you stated) that doesn’t help.

Is that really true? I mean, is that true that the first one wins, or rather the one that is closest to the challenge in the allotted time, so really order doesn’t matter? Otherwise “super farms” would be the only winning ones.

My understanding is that “the first wins” only applies if someone runs all plots under multiple farmers (e.g., duplicating submitted number of partials / proofs) hoping to increase his/her odds, as such “the first wins” basically kills his/her secondary farms (all farms in this case reply with exactly the same results). Basically, this is also to prevent someone that sells plots from also farming them, as the odds of winning drop by 50%, so neither good for seller, nor for the buyer.

Also, my understanding of that 5 sec time limit is that it is more or less like “don’t bother” limit, that could easily be set to 10 seconds, thus accommodating more farms that struggle with that 5 sec limit. The whole point of that 5 sec is that the final decision is made at that time, not really looking at who was first. If the “who is first” rule would be in place, there would be no need for that 5 secs at all.

Basically, this is also to prevent someone that sells plots from also farming them …

The plotting company has no private key for the plots and therefore can’t farm the customers plots. Just to be said.

Dont worry if response time is less than 5 sec. In fact, I won most of the time even when responce time is larger than 15sec .

Ppl on the forum have got a reward from 17 / 18 sec responses , so 2 seconds is far to low a value.

Hi, just installer farmr and looking at my stats. My average response time is 1 sec is that good/sufficient? Will I win more often if I can get that down?

Also, can I get that down if I wanted to? Faster CPU, more memory, both? My drives are connected via sas expanders to a LSI SAS card so not sure if there’s anything I can do there. Thank you!

Nope, under 5 sec is fine, ppl have got reward at 18s.

Don’t even bother trying would be my advise, waste of time and money for no gain.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice!

1 Like