The main technical issue that is keeping XCH price down

litterally wrong. Stop spreading fud. you can already do that.

I personally rather use the official wallet but just use a wallet such as goby, evergreen or pawket if thats what you are after.

1 Like

In what way am I wrong there. Could u elaborate.

Do u not use chia?

U must download and sync before making a transaction no?

Are u just blowing smoke to make chia look good?

If it where easy everyone would be using/doing it

Every app in the world sees success if it’s easy and accomplishes something.

So far chia accomplishes nothing of note for anyone and
isn’t user friendly.
(Unless you’ve read the holy GitHub page to page a few times)

It’s kinda lame tbh
I can’t subvert taxses or embessel money or send chia to grandma in Norway using chia

So why would anyone want-/use it at all?

I see chia completely outside everyone’s little box.

Ya I’m bitter. For now.

But I’m certain chia will be on everyone’s phone by 2030

Bet

"The light wallet will, on average, improve your wallet sync times from many hours to mere minutes. "

A few mins for initial sync is good, and id think subsequent syncs would indeed be seconds.

Source.

I dont believe the wallets kryptomine mentioned need to sync, they communicate with a synced node for transactions, so no sync on the user end.

Why cant you?

Most deinately not the case.

1 Like

Can’t speak to it
Never tried the light wallet.
U can’t farm with the light wallet…?
And I’m sure it’s missing some features aswell?

Why can’t someone. (Or a few) host the db in a torrent. Build it into the chia client. For super fast p2p syncing.
Or is that what’s already happening.

Id love to hear your ideas to improve chia.
Specifically the slow af sync.

Instead of just shooting down all of mine.

If some one planned on farming chia for the first time today.

It will take u about a week I’d say before u see ur successful pass. Factoring in sync times, plot times Ect.
And that’s if everything goes smoothly with getting set up.

It’s just to darn cumbersome
Especially when compared to certain gpu/cpu mining platforms. And what they offer

Somthing must be done

And being like o no there’s no problem syncs times are fine. Is a huge problem.there has to be a better way.

Could u even imagine how nice it would be to farm chia without every single node having to stay synced 24/7.

It’s almost waistfull even. (Waist of compute).

We all have a 100gb ish file on our computer that literally is just a record. And we all, they are all identical…
tell me the sense in that.

1 Like

It is transparency / decentralization. No single person can control the blockchain database.
Everyone has the same ledger.

I believe that when you use a torrent, your IP address is encased in the data stream. Ergo, everyone serving you your file will have your IP address. That might matter to some folks.

If they build a torrent into Chia, that is fine – as long as when the requester initiates that request he is informed that he is advertising his IP address to the torrent servers.

Since the blockchain is available for downloading, from what I read in some comments in this forum, people can take advantage of doing so (same IP issue, I believe, when your browser connects to whoever is serving the files – but if done via a VPN, I believe that should remedy the IP issue).

Note that torrenting through a VPN will still reveal your IP address. Browsing via a VPN to obtain the blockchain will reveal the VPN’s IP address.

If I have any of this wrong, please let me know.

And then there is the trust issue. For those that are not computer savvy, they might balk at the offer of getting the blockchain from some web site. If chia.net included links to sites that offer blockchain downloads, then those sites would inherit the trust value from chia.net (with a cautionary note to download only blockchain files (and list the names) and not executable files from the site).

And to tie it all together, it would be nice if the GUI offered a way to place the downloaded blockchain into the proper directory. This might seem simple for many of us. But for many others, this is not simple. A menu item that asks you to click on the folder containing the downloaded blockchain, and then the GUI placing it where it needs to be, would help new users.

And if the GUI offered links from where the blockchain could be downloaded, and then placed it where it needs to be, that would be better yet.

No, but thats fine for point of sale usage.

You can, nothing to stop you.

Chia team dont want it, and want regular p2p network sync.

I have none other than a torrent, i said that would be good months ago.
For security chia team could just sign it and display their pgp key on main site so we all know its legit.
Thats how you verify btc core downlosds.

Nodes know each others ip, so no different to the msin client.

Im not talking about the official chia client. I’m talking about third party, online wallets. Simmilar to metamask. Accessible though webbrowser, smartphone app etc. No sync required.

the caviat is: I do not want to have my wallet on a third party provider.
as of what i’ve heard from friends is that the wallet is simple to use. You see your balance, and can send money to any address.

The most cumbersome thing for beginners is to get the transaction fees right I think.

As to improve your experience:
With the livht wallet, you can do everything except for farming.
If you are a farmer, your client is in sync all the time anyways. If you are not a farmer, use the light wallet. It takes under a minute to start and sync for me. You can send and receive transactions, sign, receive, create contracts, nfts and coins. All the same than with the full node except for farming.

If you are farming, you can have your farming machine in full node mode and on a second computer, such as your Laptop you can use it in light wallet mode. That way you have quick access and the client does not use tremendous diskspace.
The Full node is ment for developers and farmers. Not for daily use or as wallet.

I am very confident that the chia client uses a kind of torrent to download the database. The reason the sync takes longer is that the client proofs every transaction it receives before it includes it into the local database. This is a kind of fail and tamper protection.
There are Database downloads with torrent or normal file download (i believe 200-300 GB) but by putting them into the database directory, you prevent the tampering protection and validation. Id be careful to load third party stuff into my online banking system. Its much easier and faster to use light wallet anyways.

2 Likes

I have created a proposal to either set light wallet as standard or to rename “Light Wallet” to “Wallet” to make things more clear.

Feel free to add your pinch of salt or upvote the proposal:

if the topic vains enough attention, Ill draft a CHIP (Chia improvement proposal) from it.

3 Likes

that’s a great idea!!

can you also ask please to add a sync progress bar to on the light wallet screen?

3 Likes

thats for another proposal but ill do so

1 Like

The peak height on wallet mode only is not “clearly visible” as you say, see screenshot:

What are you talking about?

I didnt actually say that did i.
I was no doubt referring to the main wallet.

You will notice i did not mention wallet mode or light wallet.

You will also notice in the post i was responding to you did not mention wallet mode or light wallet.

I dont recall every detail of every person i respond to in here, i doubt you do either, maybe i would have known you were referring to the wallet mode had you actually included that detail in your post or had your last post i had responded to not been very close to 24 hrs earlier.

sure, maybe my post was not clear at all - sorry about that - but as you can see on wallet mode only no progress is shown so this issue exists, I think I’ll make a proposal on GitHub about this.

thank you for participating in this thread.

all the best,
Leonard.

1 Like

When yout internet was working well, how long did light wallet take to sync?

Because i get that a progress bar might be usefull to some.
However if it literally took minutes as claimed i personally still dont think its that important.
But to each their own.

1 Like

i just did a clean install on ubuntu. took half a day for the wallet… im on day 3 syncing the chain tho. halfway there. gigabit.

1 Like

I just wiped out the wallet>db> all files. Restarted, and it took literally a couple minutes to sync and display the wallet correctly. I was amazed :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: and my node is wireless.

2 Likes

I told you that card was good

1 Like

main reason price is “down” that XCH is not traded/manipulated on any main exchange as crypto hype as BTC, ETH are :wink:

Dreamers with no idea about economy, nor what money really is.

Chia tries to build blockchain for ECOterrorists. It is used by World Bank, and their sheep to control carbon markets.

My guess it is intentional to avoid fiasco of BTC, and its clones. Nakamoto consensus shown modern kids about the nature. In nature, everything is centrally decentralized, and trustless model. Yet, for some unknown reason some smart ass tried to beat nature…and failed horribly.

Have you ever seen zebra trusting crocodile? Yet, people trust false idols, and suffer from horrible paranoias.

I laughed when I saw that S2F guy preaching about exact BTC price ROFL I have been taught by real trading masters with 50 years experience, and they laugh at crypto-kids. In bull market everybody is expert…until shit hits the fan. As uncle Warren said “when tide is out, you see who swims naked.”

While crpyto world is crashing down to real values…XCH keeps it real around 30$. Duststorms are result of pissed up suckers who bought ICO at 1600$ ROFL What sane person does that?

As uncle Warren also said…in every crisis, everything crashes to real value…in case of crypto, it is 0.

Most coins have zero usability. After, 10 years you still cannot pay anywhere with crypto. in case of some smart ass comments…yes, you can buy 2$ coffee with BTC, and pay 30$ fee ROFL

I purchased some PC components with crypto, and it was a horribly complicated experience, with 5-10% losses to various greedy fuckers. I haven’t seen a single food store accepting crypto…what really matters cannot be bought with crypto.

Of course, you can have Binance card if you are lucky, and living in certain lands. With credibility as FTX expert kid. Binance is on the brink of collapse as well. What is the point of crypto if you cannot use/exchange it anywhere?

Crypto didn’t resolve anything, and it is not money, as some confused kids claim.

Only thing that survives imminent crypto ban, regulation will be something that resolves problems of modern world. Monero is candidate nummero uno. Once, it moves to DarkNet, it will be most close to money it gets.

Chia may be revolution if they manage to achieve their plans with World Bank. Most crpyto will be regulated to oblivion. Mafia doesnt like competitors…especially if you build it for 500 years.

It takes just one simple step…stop using worthless paper printed at legendary rates with imminent hyperinflation, and raging poverty.

Are you ready to rumble, guys? :wink:

Your problems with low XCH price will be soon just a joke, the good old times syndrome :wink:

1 Like

Maybe trying to check peers in CLI to kick some one is not updated node for synch better higher peer like ‘chia peeer -c’ you see there not enough height, kick them by ID and connect to IP with updated node search IP in google