Too many power adapters. Any good solution?

Bros, Here is what I have on one harvester. Not just many power heads, but also it needs 2x3 power strips. Any good way to shrink down?

I am thinking this plug splitter. I think one power adapter can do more than just one external hard drive. One power adapter does 12V x 3A = 36W

Or, use the old Molex head from power supply to 5.5 mm plug.

1 Like

The best solution i found: Building a 160TB Chia Coin Farmer on Raspberry Pi 4 - YouTube
I still didnt even try but someday i will do

1 Like

Thanks bro. It gives me some good idea. Amazon has some 5.5 x 2.5 plug pre-wired. It could save me some effort.

1 Like

Those cost usually 150 each:

2 power adapters die 8 drives and active cooling.
I modded the door with a fan though.

1 Like

Any thing like USB to SATA just data cable no power? I can make my own power.

Fantec is way cheaper and from my personal experience better than icybox (USB 3.x and e-sata)

$120 vs $344

Now the possibility exists also with PCI Power brackets and those cost barely anything especially to well get fans etc in my case added to external stuff

pci-power-bracket-2

Those cost depending where you buy between $5-$8

So using PC power and pretty easy to determine voltage needed

IDEconnector

Anyway, each it’s own thing I guess … but I do attest that I hate a ton of power adapters…

1 Like

If you have USB 3.x then yes there are sata adapters for it , USB 2.x will not work as there is no power delivered afaik

They look like this, and yes you could plug them in a USB 2.x also but well will be or should be fail…

usaru3100bk-nedis-usb-a-naar-sata-adapter-voor-2-5-hdd-s-ssd-s-usb3.0-hoofd

Those adapatars are pretty cheap between $5-10

1 Like

Thanks bro. Is one if for 2.5 hard drive only 5V, yes? 3.5 needs 12V. I try to find signal only USB to SATA. Hard drive can be powered by ATX power.

Or, if the adapter has a power hole accepting 12V, I will get it.

I used to do molex 6 pins (gpu) to multiple DC to power the drives, it works fine and you can plug many (if I recall correctly, it’s rated at 150 watts per 6pin, depends on the rails inside your PSU). I recommend using half the PSU for the rated power of the drive, that way you don’t risk anything when all drives power-up at the same time and you also get the benefit of a good PSU efficiency.

1 Like

Check out this video about 18 USB drives running on RPi:

He did quite a good job with that setup.

Also, @enderTown did an excellent thread about his setup. Not exactly USB, but how he powered those drives may be relevant to you.

1 Like

====Also, @enderTown did an excellent thread about his setup. Not exactly USB, but how he powered those drives may be relevant to you.====

Thanks bro. Guy uses 1-5 port multiplier. Internal hard drives. Other quite a few miscellaneous parts. External USB hard drive is cheaper per TB. But I will do both internal and external!

Take a look at that video, that is pure USB stuff, but using slightly different parts to get power to those drives. Really a clean solution.

1 Like

I like that setup but imho costs more $ wise as time to setup, give me simply my fantecs they are cheap kinda to hold 4HDDs , however each is an extra power adaptar also but way less USB/e-sata cables.

Each it’s own thing I guess, besides I’m not a handy man heck I have barely any tools and those I have are all PC related … so not the stuff to get that setup made without buying more tools also :stuck_out_tongue:

Now for those using large USB hubs and want also power from it …

You might see a voltage difference when you use a powered USB hub… on available USB ports

The more used the less voltage they provide when checking with USB testers… minimal but yet … could cause issues if you have a large USB hub.

On a 10-12 USB ports hub the voltage drops actually to a 2.5~3.5v if all are in use at the end … USB 8-12…

Edit: Those USB testers don’t cost a fortune actually cheap I paid $3.79 for them through Amazon

Edit 2: just plugged in my iphone to show difference already and note this is an enterprise grade USB hub …

Each instance plugged in that requires power drops the voltage consideratly …

Just buy a CCTV 12V power supply. You can power 10 drives with a 20Amps PSU.

Does that barrel jack splitter have 5.5x2.5mm ends? I haven’t been able to find any. If so, would you be so kind as to share the link? I know a few people have been searching for them.

2 Likes

I just cut the wires and use the original jacks for some external HDD drives, because the splitter jack is to small. I cut the wire and use original power male jack and attach a female power jack from ebay to the wire, the I use the splitter. Powering 8 drives now. You don’t really need the splitter, the PSU has 2x12V outputs so you can just connect the wires directly to the PSU output and use the original jack.

2 Likes

Ah I see. Nevermind then. I was hoping for a way where I don’t have to splice cables together.

If I’m going to have to cut the original cables I would probably just crimp a fork connector to the end and connect it to a bus bar or a similar terminal connector.

Thanks anyway.

Amazon.com, in USA, has 5.5*2.5 barrel plug pre-wired. Search for a bulk of 10 or something.

search for camera cctv power jack splitter
https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance-Camera-Power-Splitter/s?k=Surveillance+Camera+Power+Splitter

1 Like

Cool. This one is 5.5*2.5. 12V 5A power supply. How many external HDD can it supply? Say Seagate expansion model line. It comes with 12V 1.5A power supply.