Trying to build a farming server enclosure - Need some help

So would it be an idea to build a normal rack mounted PC and connect the NetApps DS4246 to it? Or should I just go with the NetApps all the way? :slight_smile:

JBODs are definitely a way to scale. An HBA card can have 2 ports. You can connect a jbod to each, and also you can daisy-chain them.

Also nobody prevents you from attaching a shelf on the rack and you can put the existing PC tower on it, saving you trouble of rebuilding it in a rack mounted chassis (42u is plenty to fit like 4PB)

I have Supermicro and Sand Digital jbods. Both work fine and they can daisy chain off of each other no problem.

Ok, just having a problem to understand how it all works since Its kinda new for me ;p.

Guess it just buy a JBOD and figure stuff out from there ;p.

4 Pib would be nice! Buts its like a 3-4 year project for me ;p, But its fun to always have something to fix and plot lol ;p

The Netapp is purely storage, there is no PC in it, so you still need a PC. Neatest way would be to get a suitable rack, and a suitable rack mount case, and install your existing or suitable PC parts in it.

See example here which uses this rack mount case

If you going for PBā€™s of storage then it is the best way, you donā€™t want dozens of disks connected with cables everywhere on multiple power supplies, it gets very messy very quickly.

Watch this video, it will give you a better idea. His room is very noisy, but he has tons of equipment running.

I would also suggest you look at using

Have a look through his other videos as well, youā€™ll learn a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I will see them all.

Question again, so could it work if I use the Inter-Tech case I postet earlier with 24 drives as the main computer and connect the NetApp to that computer? :slight_smile:

Yes it would, youā€™ll need a SAS card (HBA) with an external port, and also a SAS expander. The SAS links to the HBA card, and typically the SAS expander would have 7 ports, one port links back to the HBA, the other 6 ports each takes a cable which splits into 4 SAS/SATA connectors, so 6 x 4 = 24 drives. Then a single cable links the the external port to your Netapp.

Do your research and get it right first time, otherwise it will get very expensive very quickly, most of us learnt the hard way, you have the benefit of the past 8 months history now online.

PS. The SAS card (HBA) needs to be configured in IT mode, not raid mode, for Chia plots you want individual drives presented to the OS, not raid volumes.

2 Likes

Also forgot to say, as your a Windows user donā€™t use drive letters, create a folder on an existing drive, then create a folder in there to identify the drive such as IT-BAY01, then using mount points mount the drive in bay one to the folder you just created, and so on.

3 Likes

Thanks alot!

Guess Ill have alot to learn lol, got a great deal of help here! I really appreciate the effort :smiley:

1 Like

Do you have an YT video that could help me figure this out?

Ill think I get most of the setup now, just need to order parts

My rack would look something like this:

Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4424 24-Bay Storage (4U) ā† The main PC that will have a Windows OS and 24d
NetApp DS 4246 ā† Storage that I connect to the main PC through a HBA card

ā€œAlso forgot to say, as your a Windows user donā€™t use drive letters, create a folder on an existing drive, then create a folder in there to identify the drive such as IT-BAY01, then using mount points mount the drive in bay one to the folder you just created, and so on.ā€

This I dont quite understand, so would love to see a tutorial on how to actually do this lol ;p.

I already have 12 discs with letters, my plan is to buy the Inter Tech when I get 20 discs ish. So in like 8 weeks I think.

Currently plotting 1x 18TB each week (only plotting K34, so it takes some time lol).

Keep in mind that you only need one HBA card (you can chain link the netapp boxes)

Ok, thanks! I will watch the video.

Been watching Art of Servers videos for 2-3h today.

Back in my mind I kinda still want to use a regular PSU instead of a server PSU, because I think the noise level will be lower ;p. #noexperience

If I want to order a NetApp DS 4246 I need to use ebay. They dont sell em in Norway. The cost will be around 300$ and shipping will be around 200$.

I can get this: https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/ipc/storage-cases/4u-4424

Is it possible to build that one with normal PSU, HBA connector and SAS expander with a ā€œmotherboardā€ that connects em without needing ram and CPU?

From one of the videos I watched i saw this setup:

Am I wrong thinking that a normal PSU (ex. Corsair HX 1000) will have a lower noise level than a server PSU that comes with the NetApp DS4246?

If the Inter-Tech setup will be just as good, what is the recommended ā€œmotherboardā€ for my use? :slight_smile:

Am I wrong thinking that a normal PSU (ex. Corsair HX 1000) will have a lower noise level than a server PSU that comes with the NetApp DS4246?

the problem with a normal power supply is the limited load you can put on the 5V rail (HDDā€™s use 12V and 5V rails) Make sure that the PSU is up to the task when connecting 24 drives to it.

Is it possible to build that one with normal PSU, HBA connector and SAS expander with a ā€œmotherboardā€ that connects em without needing ram and CPU?

yes that is possible as you can see in the video you linked, you will still need a PC with HBA card to connect your SAS expander to.

Ok thanks!

But I will connect to Molex cables on the normal PSU to the backplate right?

So its not enough to have enough molex connectors and watts?

The video on how to mount drives still shows it using a drive letter as well, just mount them to a folder, donā€™t use the drive letter thereā€™s no need.

You can use the Intertech as just a case for the drives and a PSU, your only need one motherboard, CPU and ram for the entire system (dependant on size). You can fit a SAS expander in each case, use a mining PCIe slot adapter for power - no data goes through the slot. You can get adapters to switch the additional power supplies on.

Have a read of this Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance | TrueNAS Community as why you should be careful with how many drives you run off one power supply. I think they may well be being very cautious, but thats your call. I was using a 500w Seasonic Gold PSU with about 10 drives, but have upgrade to 850 Seasonic, but I only have space for 16 drives.

1 Like

The problem is that your PSU delivers the bulk of that power on the 12V rail, the 5V rail only delivers +/- 150W on that rail (in case of the HX1000), in this case I donā€™t think it will be a problem, but this is a gotcha catching out some users using less powerful PSUā€™sā€¦

1 Like

@whosrdaddy Ok, so I will be better of with a server PSU even thou the W are high? So if I buy the 1200HX would I be in the safesone? ;p

@ronski

I will try the drive letter thing out :).

Mining PCI slot adapter, with that you think about the riser right? Im using that for my GPU mining :). Do you have any examples of what kind of adapters I can use to switch power on and off?

The guide was nice! What kind of PSU size you think I should have for 24 drives? :slight_smile:

Corsair 1200HX has 30A on the 5V rail. 30x5 = 150W

Assuming a HDD uses 15W during spin-up and assuming it uses 50% of that power from 5V, you will need 7.5 x 24 = 180W

Lower assumption to 10W, then 5 x 24 = 120W

Find a controller that supports staggered spin-up and you will alleviate the issue.

Thatā€™s not correct, most of the power draw is on the 12v side, its the 12v that sees the initial increase. The 12v supplies the motor, and its the motor that draws extra power as it starts to spin the platters. Think of it as pushing a car, its hard work getting it moving to start with, but once its moving it take less effort assuming the ground is flat and level. Its the same with the disk, initially getting the disk to spin takes quite a bit of power, once its up to speed the power drops. The logic side hardly alters, the link I posted explains it all much better.

see here Add2PSU Daisy Chain Power Supply Adapter Review - Legit Reviews