Ultra SCSI -> USB adapter

I have 8 of these drives:

I have never sold or discarded them, because I have not found a way to erase them.

Here is the view of the pins:

Short of buying a PC and installing a SCSI adapter, is there a way to connect them to a USB port via an adapter?

I have searched, and the closest I could find were these three candidates:

The above gets me to IDE on the other side, and I am again stuck for how to proceed.

Same problem, with IDE on the other end.

The above has has SCA 50 pin on the other end, and I have no idea what that is.

My goal is finding a way to connect the drives so that I can erase them.

If the only solution is going to be jumping through many hoops, and being costly, then I will just let them sit. But I would like to rid myself of them, if there is a reasonable solution.

Shame. I binned an ULTRA2 SCSI PCI card and an old Intel Xeon system it came from just a few weeks ago.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ll make this simple “throw them away”!!! I got rid of even my wd and Seagate 150gb disks…

tons of thoses drives to ewaste…

3 Likes

I hand drill works wonders…

2 Likes

No short answer.

You can invent a Time Machine?

I had not considered drilling a hole through them.

Pity I will not get to see what was on them. I wanted to take a look before overwriting the data. But it looks like I will be drilling.

I hope I have a drill bit that can bore through metal.

1 Like

@drhicom Is that a Liebert A/C unit in the photo?

yes sir, that made the room nice and cool

Stress reliever :rage: The glass or metal platters are the hardest part :muscle:

4 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever found a USB-to-SCSI adapter. You can get PCMCIA-to-SCSI (I probably have one, without the dongle, in the garage somewhere) but…

Wait…

Just found one. Amazon.com: USB2.0 to Ultra SCSI Converter Use Ultra Scsi Device As USB2.0 : Electronics

Only $399 used on Amazon Marketplace.

I was looking for USB-to-SAS myself and found one in the $200-250 range. I guess these are both fairly niche needs.

1 Like

I want to see what is on the drives. But I will not pay $399 for that privilege.

Also, that adapter does not provide power. The power over USB is not enough to operate 3.5" drives.
So that gets me back into having to open a desktop case and run a traditional power cord from the computer’s power supply.

I will use the free “drill a hole” option (when I visit someone with a drill and bit that will bore through metal).

1 Like

In the can man!!!

BOSCH CO2135 1/8 In. x 2-3/4 In. Cobalt Drill Bit - - Amazon.com

1 Like

I usually disassemble them while in meetings. I use an alcohol swab to wipe the disk platter!

The swab part is a joke, I actually have piles of the spindles in my office. I plan to glue them to a board so I can blind my enemies with them!

2 Likes

I never disassembled a drive. But my brother once did.
He told me that the platters were very, very strong, and really hard to bend or break.

And he was using pliers. So I will not go down that route.
It is the drill for me.

Ya, Drill does work. But you need access to preferably a vice, Or a drill press. Guy at work took an every day drill and started drilling drives. Ended up drilling through his hand.

Ya, Got figure, That guy got promoted and now is my boss!

Yes, that is how I was taught.
:face_with_spiral_eyes:

Kidding aside, I am planning on putting the drives on the ground, outside, and drilling into them.

1 Like

I’m not advocating that expenditure, just answering your original question.

The three options you shared originally have nothing to do with USB anyway.

I did a quick search and found some other options between $80-150. But you probably won’t find a USB-to-SCSI adapter in working condition for as little as a 50-to-68 adapter.