Wallet syncing vs. overall syncing

In the …mainnet/db directory, there are three blockchain* files (I am using Chia version 1.2.9 – so I do not know if this differs from other versions).

In the GUI, it tells you your sync status.
But to which of the blockchain files is that status referring?

One of the files, the largest one, is flirting with 4 GB in size. So I will assume that that one is part of the GUI’s status.

But what about the other two? One ends in -shm and the other ends in -wal.
I do not know what “shm” is, but “wal” is presumably your wallet.

So when you are not fully synced, does that include that your wallet is not fully synced?

Here is why I am asking:
Syncing is problematic. We cannot rely on always being synced.
So if you wanted to execute a trade, but you are not synced, will you be able to execute that trade?

And if the GUI shows that you are not synced, does that include the wallet, or just the main db file (the main “sqlite” file)?

It is my understanding, But I know someone will answer with a more thorough answer.

But Blockchain and Wallet are separate. If Wallet is synced you can send transactions, But cannot farm. And vis versa.

1 Like

Both .wal and .shm are temporary files for a given sqlite db and are deleted when you shut down chia, and then generated during the next start.

Wallet db is in …/wallet folder, and is about 8 GB.

2 Likes

As @Jacek said.

I’ll merely add that you can farm as long as the full node is synced, regardless of whether the wallet is synced. With CLI you can even run “chia start farmer-no-wallet” which doesn’t load the wallet at all, just the full node and the farmer.

Of course you won’t be able to make wallet transactions without a running and synced wallet. But if you use a cold wallet, you never have to.

1 Like

If you are not synced, are you able to trade XCH?

You need your wallet synced to move xch , yes.

How do you verify whether or not your wallet it synced?
Is it the same “Synced” message in the GUI that gives you your overall syncing status for the blockchain?

If yes, then folks that wish to trade XCH must have a computer running 24/7/365.
If not, then they must wait days to execute their trade, waiting to sync up. And this is today’s wait time.

Syncing up could, one day, take weeks, or even months. The blockchain will forever be growing in size.

There is a light wallet iirc.

I use farmr

@Bones
What is “iirc”?

If I recall correctly.

In the GUI Wallet section sync status is reported top right. It’s a separate (kind of secondary) sync proces. You can observe this when you have two or more wallets (fingerprints/keys) installed on your client. Only one of those is ‘wallet-synced’ at a time. Switching wallet in Keys section will start syncing that chosen wallet, you will see it’s status catching up to the blockchain Height. Full sync from scratch for wallets is a bit quicker than the blockchain sync but will still takes many hours.

A ‘light wallet’ is currently being developed, available as a beta on the chia.net downloads page.

Noting the statement it’s protocol is going to be Electrum style this sounds promising. But we’ll have to wait for people giving this a try and sharing the experience. I will…

https://electrum.org/#home

1 Like

Wallet Beta:

Look and feel as the normal chia client.
Enter 24 words as usual.
Synced within 6 minutes (first sync).
Does not need a blockchain db synced!
Knows all earlier transactions.
Ability to add tokens (CAT’s?)

Perfect for a cold wallet I think.

1 Like

Does it add previous transactions at the correct time /
date?

I’ve noticed the full wallet uses the date it reads the chain , not the date transactions ate actually sent, lest that was fixed already.

Transaction dates ok I think…

1 Like

Isn’t the concept of a cold wallet a computer that sees your mnemonics, but is never connected to the internet (so those keys cannot leak)?

Yes, that’s as cold as it gets :cold_face:
But if some day you would want to transfer some funds out of that wallet it’s nice if that wallet would not have to be online and synced for hours and hours first.
Best would be I think to generate a couple of cold wallets off-line, use one as receive address and when you need to spend some funds from it go online to do just that plus transfer all the rest to a fresh cold wallet receive address, one who’s mnemonics have never been used online.
But then you’d have to be pretty well organized not to loose track of mnemonics and were your XCH’s are hibernating :bear:

BTW it’s pretty busy with transactions on the network again I think. CPU is maxing out again and I have some stale partials. Guess I’ll take the advice to upgrade my full node…
Just transferred a small amount with the light wallet and it has been pending for half an hour now. Could be a beta thing also of course…

1 Like

Yes, my node is also kind of screwed up. Although, it is not a normal dust storm. Out of my 8 cores (just 4 physical), only one is basically hosed. Also, my log file is generating add_spendbundle entries every millisecond or less than that. I think those entries are killing that core / the node.

I have already entered a question on github Discussion page, but if more folks see the same behavior, I will move it to Issues page.

Drop your peer count first. This time, there is plenty of almost synced nodes on my peer list, and it looks like those nodes are not syncing anymore.

Maybe we should open a new thread about this problem.

UPDATE:
I have dropped the warning level on my node to ERROR. Node is happier right now. What a f*#$ing nonsense to have those retarded logs be pumped every millisecond, thus killing the process. This is really an entry level mistake, having engineering logs be pumped on production code with full blast.

1 Like

This is weird, I don’t have any of those. Remember seeing them before, not in large numbers though.
It’s an INFO item isn’t it. My log level is INFO and I have plenty lines of those but not the add_spendbundle…?

Yes, it is INFO level.

Maybe this is a version issue? I am running v1.2.6. Maybe that got fixed in v1.2.11.

Must be, i’m on 1.2.11.
Do you think that spendbundle item so frequent in the log has to do with the large number of transactions being processed on the network?