What to do with Hard Drives as Chia is not profitable anymore

Hi Guys,

I’m opening this thread for new ideas on how to use our hard drives for a more convenient profit.
Any ideas are welcome, don’t be offended and be peaceful, there is enough war on the planet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Getting lucky building a channel (youtube will net you the most money not actually working) and backing up your videos, $$$ per TB the money is here. But there are enough ‘50 views and not monetized’ channels on there already, it’s tough to break through. Traditionally actual productivity stuff or datacenter stuff is where the money is at but it’s silly to start a business just to get use out of gear (just sell it to someone that already has a business).

1 Like

Why do you think it’s not profitable?

For 300W I get about $300 a month at today XCH price. It’s not much, but it’s more than zero.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if there is anything. I tried Storj once and that was only pennies per month, When I looked into it Filecoin is supposed to earn more but the big disadvantage is you have to buy a lot of coin first, I think it’s up there in the thousands to sell any reasonable storage space. And if you have hardware failure and downtime they take part of your capital. Most of the space available doesn’t even have enough buyers so it’s unused anyway, that’s why it put me off.

May as well stick with Chia, or pass the disks on to another farmer if you decide to quit.

3 Likes

That’s a really good ratio! For $300 a month I guess you must have some 750TB farming. At 300W some 400mW per TB :+1:

1 Like

818TB, to be precise. :wink:

1 Like

Flux may have something in the pipeline. If it’s okay to mention here on a Chia forum.

1 Like

NEVER.

818TB / 20TB = ca. 40 HDD.

40 HDD ca. 8-10 Watt = 320-400 Watt.
Without accessories! USB hub, client/server and especially fans also need power. Your calculation is simply wrong. And also your alleged profit. It should be around $150. maybe $200.

3 Likes

Exactly 301W at the moment.

48HDDs (all Toshibas, mostly 18TB) + 1 SSD for boot.

1 Like

Helium filled drives are a lot more energy-efficient. Closer to 4W running idle. Read/Write around 8W but chia does not require constant reading, hardly any. So my guess would be 4.5W on average for helium filled drives. Leaving some room for server/enclosure/fans…

2 Likes

I’ll buy them if you’re willing to be realistic about price

1 Like

What do btc miners do when its not profitable?
The smart ones carry on regardless, earn more as ppl drop, and hodl till the rally! Then bank it.

Choose wisely.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I think it’s just your point of view and you are far away for understanding the power of the Chia Network !
Just look around in the Crypto ecosystem and you will see that big compagnies like Chainlink and Swift are working together to be ready for the fiancials wire solution when Chia is already ready !
Nobody is patient anymore and that’s a shame.
Chia is the future and I will not switch of

Good luck to find a such good and profitable investment

2 Likes

You should try MMX. Testnet has been online since November. Mainnet start in about 2 months.

1 Like

Can you provide a link or something for this MMX? There are so many crypto now, i’m actually not able to find it, or i’m not sure i’ve found the right one

1 Like

The fact you can’t find it easily should be warning shots fired. The fact there are so many should be the next warning shot. When “bad investment” is being whispered, then maybe it’s just not a wise pursuit.

3 Likes

Yes, please stay away … hard to find…too many cryptos…and whispered warnings…caveat emptor…not wise with so many warning shots fired.

3 Likes

Here is discord for more info: madMAx/chia-plotter
Here is github: GitHub - madMAx43v3r/mmx-node
No official website as for now I think.
Developer is a guy who created MadMax Plotter for Chia. He is creating MMX from scratch. Personally I think it may be better than Chia. Much faster for sure.

1 Like

It is profitable for me and I pay 40 cents per kWh. You are doing something really wrong if farming is unprofitable for you.

2 Likes

Anyone tried Filecoin so far?

1 Like