Who’s running Plotman on a single machine? Any tips?

This weekend I’m planning to dive into setting up plotman on my single NUC running Ubuntu. I have an internal NVME drive for plotting, can pull off 4 plots at once with a little staggering. I have 50tb of external drives attached over USB-C to the rig.

Anyone running Plotman in a similar situation?

Oh that looks super interesting! I hadn’t heard of it before (link for reference: GitHub - ericaltendorf/plotman: Chia plotting manager).

If this can manage the staggering more automatically then that would be great, currently it’s a bit of guesswork what timings work. How do you stagger them at the moment?

Just a bunch of terminal windows and some chicken scratch notes about start times and then using the sleep Command in Linux to stagger things.

I think I’m going to try and setup plotman this weekend, just unclear exactly how to best do it when I’m only running one machine (I don’t have a second farming rig for example)

Yeah, that was my concern as well, don’t want to stop plotting now just to figure out how to possibly better plot! :sweat_smile:

I’ve switched to using plotman last weekend and I’ve fully let it take the wheel. I’ve tweaked the config a couple times, but otherwise leave it on interactive mode and check in once a day just to see it’s running.

Between plotman and chiadog (GitHub - martomi/chiadog: A watch dog providing a piece in mind that your Chia farm is running smoothly 24/7.) I feel comfortable enough to just walk away, let it run for a month, and I know I’ll get an email if something happens. I don’t do that, but I could if I needed to.

As far as config goes, if you know your optimal stagger time you can just add that to the config and it will kick off a job and then set max jobs for the temp drive. If you’re more CPU or memory limited than temp space you can stagger based on phase and table and it will balance the temp space across jobs to spread out the io.

2 Likes

@mike Would you be able to share your plotman config? I tried playing with it over the weekend on an old machine but it immediately started plotting a second plot after 30 mins. It’s probably that I’m misunderstanding the configs for these, not sure:

tmpdir_stagger_phase_major: 2
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor: 1
        # Optional: default is 1
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit: 1

I don’t have tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit set, but as it says the default is 1. I also only have one tmp directory. It assumes that each tmp directory is it’s own device for staggering purposes.

# Where to plot and log.
directories:

log: /media/mike/pcie-ssd/logs

tmp:
                - /media/mike/pcie-ssd

dst:
                - /media/mike/local-hdd
                - /media/mike/seagate-1

# Plotting scheduling parameters
scheduling:
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_major: 1
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor: 5 

# Don't run more than this many jobs at a time on a single temp dir.
        tmpdir_max_jobs: 5

# Don't run any jobs (across all temp dirs) more often than this.
        global_stagger_m: 20

# How often the daemon wakes to consider starting a new plot job
        polling_time_s: 20

global_max_jobs: 99

# Plotting parameters.  These are pass-through parameters to chia plots create.
# See documentation at
# https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain/wiki/CLI-Commands-Reference#create
plotting:
        k: 32
        e: False             # Use -e plotting option
        n_threads: 8         # Threads per job
        n_buckets: 128       # Number of buckets to split data into
        job_buffer: 4520     # Per job memory

user_interface:
       use_stty_size: False
2 Likes