Why are no proof's being found?

So, I am farming on a laptop I own, Windows 10, with 686 plots on USB drives, and recently when I go to watch the farming progress, there are plenty of Plots passed Filter hits (average 1-2 per challenge, but sometimes as high as 5 or 6 per challenge), but no proofs being found at all. I have looked at the error log, and am seeing two types of warnings about once an hour:
2021-10-18T18:00:50.110 full_node chia.full_node.full_node: WARNING Block validation time: 2.06 seconds, cost: 1910498458, percent full: 17.368%
2021-10-18T18:52:27.472 full_node chia.full_node.mempool_manager: WARNING add_spendbundle ba9929f8e70ebaec23b3521e85b21fb4eab700fac93aa1f4cfa5ce6c3cdd51c3 took 1.01 seconds. Cost: 1560121037 (14.183% of max block cost)
I am honestly not sure what either of these warnings mean precisely though I believe that the first is for the amount of time block validation is taking, which I believe should be under 2 seconds. I am not sure what a spendbundle is or what that means, or whether it is even relevant to my real question which is why no proofs are being found.

They are not serious warnings, but worth investigating, I get just over 1 sec and am OK with that.

They certainly won’t stop you finding proofs.
And are to do with your time to process transactions into a block.

Are you running chia of a hdd?
If so, I’d get onto a ssd, as more transactions are processed I would think those times would likely rise.

As for proofs, you should get 1 plot pass for for every 500 roughly, so if your seeing 5 at times, you will also see 0 at times.

That said, if you keep seeing 0 and nothing else def needs looking into.

It’s more reliable to check the Pool you are using versus the Chia Desktop GUI. I’ve noticed the Desktop GUI stop reporting Proofs on many occasions while FlexPool shows I’m clearly still farming.

Before descending into a flame war on the merits of various tools, the practical point is: check your pool results.

I assumed they weren’t pooling, but I shouldn’t assume.
They are def looking at logs though, so probably not just a gui issue imo.

I am not pooling any more. I was on Space Pool until Monday, and then decided to switch to self pooling. Space Pool was seeing normal amount of proofs, I think, as they were paying me and I was getting points. And, yes, I am talking about not seeing any confirmation of proofs in the GUI. It seemed to work before when I was pooling with Space Pool, but not since I have switched to self pooling.

When you are in a pool you receive a lot more challenges from the pool - in addition to those from the blockchain - to check you farm space and pool contribution.
When self-farming the amount of challenges is much lower and the difficulty is much much higher, so very few proofs are found

1 Like

So, I restarted, and turned logging to ‘info’, and in the last hour or so have had 755 instance of 0 proofs found, and not any where they have been found. The messages in the log look like this:
2021-10-20T08:39:33.954 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO 3 plots were eligible for farming 4740935ef5… Found 0 proofs. Time: 0.18573 s. Total 686 plots
Ok, some of those entries contained 0 plots eligible for farming, but this is ridiculous.
As far as Voodoo’s last comment, that is at considerable variance to the way that I understood pooling to work, and I am in some doubt as to it’s veracity, but am happy to be told I am wrong if others believe it to be the case that somehow pooled plots get different challenges that are easier.

If you are in a pool you get an adjusted difficulty that’s much lower than if you are self pooling. This difficulty is also increasing if you get a lot of proofs and dropping if you have a low number of proofs. These lower difficulty challenges only have one purpose. They give the pool an idea of how many plots you are farming with. They are not challenges that decide if a block is won or not.

If you’re solo farming these low difficulty challenges don’t have any purpose and are therefore eliminated. In your case if you are solo farming now pretty much every proof also translates into a block won(2 chia). I’m farming with 2457 plots right now which means on everage I get 1 block every 33 days. Since you only got 686 plots you shouldn’t expect more than one proof every 4 months. Maybe you get lucky and you see one in a few days. But you could also be unlucky and not see a single proof for a whole year.

If you plan to grow more soloing might work for you. If you have already hit yout limit with less than 700 plot I’d say you should stick to pool farming.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think that does probably explain things. I was ok with Space Pool, and farmed with them for about two months, and got a proof, so 0,25XCH plus what I was getting for pooling, which is now 1XCH, but I have decided to try my luck for the next four months or so with solo farming (or until I hit another reward).