Why does blocks gives 8 coins?

Most of the blocks give 2 coins.
However, there are blocks that give 8 coins.
Is this normal? Why they do that?

Check this out…8 coins in a block

U lucky ^%$ … congrats!

With chia more than one person can mint each block.
If to many are minted in a day difficulty goes up to correct it.

2 Likes

I do not know why one block rewarded eight coins but I did note from your link that the payout was made to four different farmer/pool pairs in the regular two coin, 1.75, .25 fashion.

My best guess would be that prior blocks had not found a recipient to reward and rewards stacked up till they did. Probably wrong, lol! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Not so wrong at all , happens also with BTC and other cryptocurrencies

1 Like

I’d like to see proof of 2 different entities mining one btc block.
To the best of my knowledge that is impossible.

Afaik, in btc this could cause a fork, one chain would get wiped and the coins invalidated.

1 Like

It has to do with the number of farmers with matching proofs in their plots. If only one farmer has the right hash to match, then they win 2 XCH (or 0.25 and 1.75 to their pool, if pooling.) If, say for example, 4 different farmers all have that same proof however, so long as they all respond within the 30 seconds or so time limit, then they ALL win, so in that example as it is here, you get 8 XCH rewarded instead of 2.

2 Likes

Also, and this tripped me up when I started doing investigations, Chia Explorer shows the Reward Transactions in the next transaction block for them, so if there are 3 non tx blocks then a tx block there is a good chance that tx block will have 4 rewards (8 xch) without any block generating 2 rewards.

Problem is people don’t look at the non-tx blocks in detail very often because they dont have any transactions in them, so we don’t even out in our brains that there are a bunch with no rewards as well as a bunch with like 4 or 5.

1 Like

Are you saying transactionless blocks don’t pay block reward?

I dont think that’s right.

No I’m saying the transactions that deposit the rewards for those blocks are all in the TX blocks, and because there are only about 1/3 of the blocks are TX blocks, i would guess the average that Chia Explorer shows in one is around 6 XCH (3 rewards) or a bit higher.

3 Likes