Why is chia proof of space documents so hard to understand?

Why is chia proof of space documents so hard to understand?

1 Like

Because it is both a research paper and a detailed explanation of a particular bc implementation (chia).

If you are looking for a TLDR, start from Proof of space - Wikipedia.

If you are looking for the founding / original PoS papers, check those two documents - https://eprint.iacr.org/2013/796.pdf and Proofs of Space: When Space is of the Essence.

4 Likes

thank you thank you sir.

1 Like

For a slightly more jaded answer, it’s standard practice with coins in general to barf out technobabble. Look at the homepage of any coin and it’s a checklist of buzzwords - even worse than picking a Protestant church in the US or a dark beer at a hipster bar. I usually recommend against bothering with the white paper (or green paper in our case) and just hitting up the blogs and youtubes - let someone else do the deep dives.

4 Likes

To me, the only thing worth to note is that those original papers were published in 2013, where Chia’s first was I think in 2018, and the one quoted above in 2020 (updated, so not sure what was the original date). Maybe the author(s) wanted to compensate for being late to the game, or rather impress potential investors.

Although, those from 2013 are about PoS only.

1 Like

The authors want to jump on the latest trends and sell to VCs or naive crypto-new-rich. Big difference between marketing talk and science/engineering talk !

GPT can do marketing talk easily :slight_smile: not so much the harder stuff !

1 Like

:joy: :farmer: :man_farmer:

1 Like