Why pools take fee?

why cant it be free ?
anyone know how pools are created ?

You need a server that runs 24/7 and knowledge about coding.

Why do pools take a fee? Because the servers cost money.

I run some pools for other crypto currencies and I can tell you that dedicated server are much better than VPS for running a pool from a latency point of view. So you can expect 50-100 Euro / USD whatever per month minimum per Server. Larger pools usually run servers in all major locations (e.g., NA, Europe. Asia…). So you have already 150-300 Euro / USD server costs if you want to cover three major regions.

Than somebody has to admin these servers. Usually pools also offer some kind of support and need a reverse proxy / DDoS protection service which is minimum 200 Euro / USD per month. Now are are talking about 350-500 Euro / USD per month just for server stuff.

If the pools takes 1% fees, the pool needs to mine crypto worth 50.000 Euro / USD per month just to get those 500 Euro / USD back. That’s also while smaller pools closed recently. They cannot earn back the very basic monthly costs they have.

You also want a fancy website, discord bots and other cool stuff? Expect to invest months of working time.

If you guys want a chia pool, I could run calculations about running one… But it would also make sense if enough TB / PB would move to that pool to cover server costs and my time… I assume people would only be interested if fee was like 0.5%?

4 Likes

Chia servers for 3 regions plus the database run a couple thousand more than we make via the 0.7% fee.

Our eth server clusters cost us around 60k-70k a month back when that was a thing.

I realize miners and farmers tend to obsess over the 1% and we often get told if we cut our fees we will have great increases in our membership.

2 Likes

why should a pool be free, the operators have running costs. and even with a 1% fee, only the top 5 pools end up really earning something, the rest are lucky if they just get their running costs covered.
for the farmers the 1% is an easy way to see if their farm is running without problems. personally i think the farmers get more out of the 1% fees than the pool operators apart from spacepool.

2 Likes

If we’re really set on group farming without paying a fee, there is always the investment scheme: get all of your friends to pool $500 each, build a killer mining and farming rig, then split the profits (lol) or divide the sweet sweet chia between different wallets. The risk is super high though and if Chia goes to $5 you will have no friends after that.

Or you can pool hop for now, some of the smaller pools are still doing 0% to build user base and you can move on to the next when rates kick in. Same thing, risky, rug pulls are a thing and you might not get your last payout if they fold.

ONLY RICEN CHIA WILL5$ IS BECUSE IT WILL BE MORE FRFofeTABLE TO BUY .i bet my ass and the bank ass .when chia get price spike kick from resanable source it will be blasting up like their is no load on it .
chia is unforgetable its a real game changer and the bigest money movers are not into crypto yet . let 1 kid find about chia for a day and u recive 365 full lifetimes a year . and any way i dont need friends i only need 20+tb sas drives some lubrication and fans alot of fans

1 Like

Are you having a stroke ?

Perhaps he breathed in too much lubrication

God is every where and if he dont wait for me to buy more chia before the price goes up then he probably not sure about chia , i will convince him

Are you hasidic or something? Don’t forget to ask god for lubrification, you said you needed it

God already sent me omega 3 capculse thet work great on the hdd metal disk and reduce friction by up to 69 precent and saves me electric bills so i can horde more xch

1 Like

Fish oil for my platters? I knew something was missing from my life. It probably smells like a fish and chips place and I love everything about that 8).

I’m not squirting fish juice all over my computer though, all you buddy.

What on earth is this chat?

1 Like

Essentially using WD-40 to lube drive spindles - we’re just having a bit of fun.

I just stick a trout in my JBOD for a more natural environment. Chia is all about the environment so perfect marriage if you ask me.