Xeon e5-26xx slow plotting

Hello someone is using xeon for plotting.?
I i have e5-2699v3 x2 and it’s very slow.
I need help.? Swar plotting

Not very many details… what is the target disk, how fast is it?

1 Like

Samsung evo 970 plus 2TB
Only 1 plot run
Now is 30m 6,22% phase 1
Wtf?

yo, any luck on this setup, wanted to go same cpu route, now confused… :confused:

I have a 2X e5 2680 with 12 cores 24 threads (total 24/48) and at 13:37 hours – progress at 94.08%. I only have 7 parallel plots running. My Ryzen 3950x is beating this machine hands down. The Ryzen already finished 12 plots and this Xeon has not even finished 1! WTH

1 Like

maybe someone knows the solution to this problem on youtube 40 plots on this configuration?

what’s your cpu clock speed? how many ddr4 rams?

2.5 ghz, 128 gb ddr4

I have 2 of these builds so I hope it runs ok!
I completed one yesterday but i am limited on temp SSD now but will be testing over the next week. I hope get 40 to a day :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Give me settings pls

I’m running a dual Xeon 2690v1 machine with 128gb RAM. It isn’t the fastest either. If I run individual plots, my laptop with a modern intel 8 core destroys it. I haven’t really messed with it much. Just started my first batch of parallel to see how that turns out.

If you can throw HDDs on it you should be able to do 1 plot per spindle up to 15 or 16 if you’re not farming also. With staggers the right way, might be faster to do a plot per 2 with temp2 on the dest disks, but even the simple 1/spindle is a good place to start.

Your single 2TB Evo drive uses 2GB of LPDDR4 Cache and this is your bottleneck, not the system itself. Its not the fastest drive. Getting 40 plots a day out of any system requires enough NVMe/temporary drives to generate enough plots in parallel to create 40 plots per day. No system on this planet will get you 40 plots per day with a single 970 plus 2TB NVMe drive. I mention this in my video, but if i were to build something from scratch with your system I would do (& am doing) the following:

With a 2699v3 and 14x 400GB HGST SSD MLC SAS HUSMM8040ASS200 drives ($80-$100 each) (Use a single 16i or 16e LSI HBA to connect these)

Raid configuration for the drives:
2x 400G drives Raid0 / 14 drives = 7 raid 0’s of 800GB

Sw4r Config:

• name: 400gx2-1
    max_plots: 999
    farmer_public_key:
    pool_public_key:
    temporary_directory: $RAID0-PATH
    temporary2_directory:
    destination_directory: $DEST-PATH
    size: 32
    bitfield: true
    threads: 4
    buckets: 128
    memory_buffer: 3390
    max_concurrent: 3
    max_concurrent_with_start_early: 3
    initial_delay_minutes: 0
    stagger_minutes: 60
    max_for_phase_1: 2
    concurrency_start_early_phase: 4
    concurrency_start_early_phase_delay: 0
    temporary2_destination_sync: false
    exclude_final_directory: false
    skip_full_destinations: false
    unix_process_priority: 10
    windows_process_priority: 32

The above configuration repeated for each of the 7 raid0 arrays. You should hit ~21 plots in less than 12 hours (probably closer to 8-10 hours) which will net you more than 40 plots per 24 hours on your current system. Or you’ll need 2x more 2TB nvme drives for a total of 3x 2TB nvme drives but then you’ll need a different config (and these drives don’t have the best endurance…). A sw4r config for 3x 2TB nvme drives looks like this:

• name: Samsung2TB-Evo1
    farmer_public_key:
    pool_public_key:
    temporary_directory: $Temp-Path
    temporary2_directory:
    destination_directory: $Dest-Path
    max_concurrent: 7
    max_concurrent_with_start_early: 7
    max_for_phase_1: 3

• name: Samsung2TB-Evo2
    farmer_public_key:
    pool_public_key:
    temporary2_directory:

• name: Samsung2TB-Evo3
    farmer_public_key:
    pool_public_key:
    temporary2_directory:

plotman config for the hgst drives:
user_interface:
use_stty_size: True

directories:
tmp:
- /mnt/400g-x2-1
- /mnt/400g-x2-2
- /mnt/400g-x2-3
- /mnt/400g-x2-4
- /mnt/400g-x2-5
- /mnt/400g-x2-6
- /mnt/400g-x2-7
dst:
- /mnt/$DESTINATION-PATH

scheduling:
tmpdir_stagger_phase_major: 2
tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor: 1
tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit: 2
tmpdir_max_jobs: 3
global_max_jobs: 21
global_stagger_m: 8
polling_time_s: 20

plotting:
k: 32
e: False # Use -e plotting option
n_threads: 4 # Threads per job
n_buckets: 128 # Number of buckets to split data into
job_buffer: 4000 # Per job memory

5 Likes

You are probably oversubscribing your temp drives if its taking 13+ hours to plot, also you are comparing a CPU that costs $700 or more to one that costs $25 on ebay. A CPU made in 2019 to a CPU made in 2012 not to mention the Ryzen CPU alone probably costs more than the entire 2680 system does. . That seems like a pretty unfair comparison as i could probably buy 2 or 3 of the 2680 systems at the cost of a single 3950x build.

Describe both the 3950x and the 2680 builds… what drives are you plotting against on each and how many do you have in each machine? VERY interested in your reply.

1 Like

Well put. I’m loving your vids - excellent info. I’m also loving the 2699v3 → I used more of my budget early doors on HDs than expensive CPUs. Would love a threadripper but I’m ticking along nicely with the 2699 and using it in 2 machines - allows some excellent parrallel plotting. Thanks Sloth to you and your dog :laughing: :dog:

1 Like

She has become quite the sensation… She says WOOF THANK YOU

I actually think she is more popular than me at this point – and I’m totally okay with that. She is so adorable… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I found the culprit, I think it is the XPG NVME that is making the plotting slower than usual, I replaced it with the 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus and plots are going along much faster about 8-9 hours with 7 parallel plots running.

1 Like

I have a plotter i9 10850k 64GB ddr4 2 nvme 2tb drives, 32 plots a day.
T7810 2xe5-2699v3 96GB ddr4 max 12 plots, 2xnvme 2tb 4 sas 300gb 4 hdd
the price of both configurations is the same, 1 xeon price about 500$
I just lost money. it is not possible to do 40 plots. Xeon
if someone is wondering to buy xeon, I strongly advise against it, it is old garbage, razen or intel are on top. you buy, connect and plotting.

I9

So you are saying you have a system with 2x 2699 v3’s and are only able to get 12 plots a day and that means xeons suck at plotting? I think you likely have something configured incorrectly. What 2TB nvme drives are you using in your 10850k? what drives are in the 2699 v3? Are you using cheap adapters in the 2699 v3 build and native motherboard m.2 slots on the 10850k?

I am getting 40 plots a day with just one of those 2699 v3’s

EDIT: The 2699 v3 has went up in price WAY too much… i literally bought one 3 weeks ago for $230… i do not recommend buying those cpus right now… you are right – $500 is a rip off for that cpu.

EDIT 2: All of that having been said – your 2699 v3 system is capable of as much or more than your 10850k system… you just need to configure it correctly… tshoot it – figure out if your nvme drives are in a pcie 2.0 slot, or disconnect those SAS drives and try plotting to JUST the nvme drives… i’ve had weird behaviors with 10k sas drives while plotting… i’ve seen entire systems slow down from a single bad drive… (yes this includes nvme plots as well)

EDIT 3: I have seen a few cheapo nvme to pcie adapters cause slowness like what you describe… i wonder if its the adapters youre using? (Sounds weird i know… but it is something i’ve seen in the wild personally)

1 Like

I glad to see you.

I use Xeon 2x 2650v2 / 64GB DDR3 of RAM / 2TB ADDLINK r3500/w3000 PCIe3.0 (install window in this)

I have plot first one, remaining time in Chia-plot-Status show is 18hr

then now, pass about 11hr remaining is 18hr same start point with 22% process from plotting 10hr :joy:

What wrong ? How can faster ? Help me please

EDIT1 I use X79 server board from china / check crystaldiskinfo NVME is run on PCIe3.0x4