XPG SX8100 4TB Nvme drive keeps crashing while plotting

Hey all,

This is my build:

i9-10900F
Asus ROG Strix Z490 e Gaming Mobo
Team T-Force Zeus DDR4-3200 64GB
XPG SX8100 4TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive R/W 3500/3000MB/S High Performance SSD (ASX8100NP-4TT-C)
Western Digital Gold 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
RMx Series™ RM850x
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2
Edit: Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5’’ SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G for OS
Edit2: Since I didn’t have onboard graphics, got ASUS GeForce GT 1030 LP 2GB (GT1030-2G-CSM)
Running on Ubuntu desktop

I have updated the OS and Bios. Plotting was fine initially. But now Nvme keeps crashing. The plot doesn’t even get to 1% and Nvme crashes. It doesn’t show up in the Ubuntu environment. But when I restart, it shows up. When I start plotting again, it goes away. I did notice that the Nvme drive was getting hot, so I added an extra small fan shooting cold air towards the general area of Nvme. Has not worked, the Nvme keeps crashing within seconds of me starting the plot. I start with 1 plot and 200 minute buffer time between each plot.

I have initiated the RMA for the Nvme and ordered qty 2 of HP EX950 M.2 2280 2TB PCle Gen3 x4, NVMe1.3 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 5MS24AA#ABC.

Ask: Is there anything I can do to stop the Nvme from Crashing? The ETA for the replacement drive is in 10 days, don’t want to waste those 10 days and not plot.

Is the HP EX950 a better option than XPG SX8100?

Edit 3: Cancelled th order for HP EX950 and went with 2x Black SN850 2TB

Same drive, same issue. Sending them back. They are crap. Samsung 970 Pro 2 TB seems to be pretty damn good for the money.

Could it be some filesystem issues?

I formatted and mounted the drive using this guide:

Using xfs file system. Do you have any recommendations on better FS?

Have you looked at WD850. They are faster and better deal Atleast here in Canada. Samsung is $100 more per qty.

XFS is pretty good. I had issues with BTRFS, then formatted to XFS. No issues with it for 3 weeks.

Try to benchmark disk with 100 of 100MiB samples (or harder) if it will be failed.

Yeah, I am guessing the Nvme is no good. Initiated the return. Should be receiving my new Nvme early next week. Ordered 2x WD 850 Black 2TB. Will update the situation after few days of testing. If anyone else knows anything, please help. Thanks!

And check SMART
sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvmeX

1 Like

Really? Let me look those up

Wow. They are $120 more than the Samsung in US. 449 for a 2 TB

Wow, I guess I got lucky, they seem to have better specs. Try Newegg, I got mine from Newegg.

Thanks glad, I have tried and failed to plot anything on the existing Nvme. Will be getting my new WD Black 850 in a day or so. Don’t wanna spend any more time with these Adata ones.

Guys, an update, replaced SX8100 with WD Black SN850. Working fine, slight heating, but the USB fan takes care of that. Everything running fine, plots are completing at better rates.

1 Like