Advantages of using a pool

Hi Folks,

A friend of mine introduced me to Chia Plotting last week and I now have local storage, a plotter and a wallet installed. With the wallet it is now so that he has set up his Account on it and the plots are made available in his pool. The deal is that once a month we share the rewards and transfer them to our own wallets.

I am in doubt if this is the ideal way to do it. After all, if I run my own wallet with my own Farmer ID, I can still plot into his pool? The question now is whether we then both still have the advantages of a shared pool, such as the provided total size of the storage and the regular payouts or whether then again each fights for himself? How would the rewards of the pool then be divided between the wallets?

Should I now use my own Farmer ID, can I then simply register the other Farmer ID to my existing wallet without having to download all the nodes again or does the new setup then take over the already existing node database?

Thanks a lot CD

Before Chia supported pooling, there may have been value in partnering with a friend to increase disk space and therefore the frequency of wins. Now with pools, there is not reason. Set up your own client, join a pool with your own keys, and plot your own NFT plots.

1 Like

yeah, I agree

if there are lots of different pools why do you want to create a new one only for both of you?

Because I was told that the pool only ever pays out to one wallet and from there the rewards are distributed. Thus, this can supposedly be better controlled. Is that not the case? My naive thought in the whole matter would actually have been that the pool automatically distributes the rewards fairly to the wallets of the individual participants…

CD

Create your own key and replace your friend’s plots with your own. When set everything up with an official pooling NFT/protocol, both of you can independently join any pools or do self-pooling. Just to give you a realistic perspective, self-pooling is feasible only when your farm size measures in petabytes.

Here is a list of known big chia pools: Chia (XCH) PoST | Mining Pools
Do your own research and join a pool that uses official protocol (it is marked with green “op” icon on that list).

Any of those pools will have good instructions how to get started - even if you are completely new. Another benefit of being in a pool that’s professionally maintained, is that you will be able to diagnose your farm for efficiency issues and they will provide some technical support.

1 Like

self-pooling is feasible only when your farm size measures in petabytes

I disagree. I was solo mining with around 250 TB and winning a lock about once per month.

Then you must be lucky.

That was a misunderstanding on my part. My friend does not have his own pool, he is part of a very large pool. What we share is his farmer ID into which the payouts are made. We then split fifty fifty once a month and payout into our own wallets. The reason was that we don’t participate in the Chia network against each other. Since he introduced me to this Chia Coin, I think it’s a fair deal.

CD

You don’t really compete in chia, as more than one person can win the same block, its not limited to 2 coins per block like most blockchains.
But if it works and your happy thats all that matters.

Funnily enough you make more with our pool than running solo. There isn’t one specific reason but an overall technical advantage makes our farmers more likely to win blocks. Check this out:

If you were on us versus soloing you’d have made 14.9% more on average in the past 7 days and 16.1% more for the past 14. You’d also have made more compared to other pools.

We took the time and invested the money to develop a strong pool protocol, use the same hardware we use for ETH mining (which is overkill), and developed our own (optional) farmer that is much improved. We continue to innovate and are currently debugging/testing our own improved POS library that will be integrated into our farmer in its next update.

We are working towards releasing our own Go-Chia node that will be several times better than the current one with fast syncing, improved reliability, the faster processing, and improved profits.

You can see how much better a pool is by how fast it is to claim rewards. We do so within 2 blocks. Most pools do so within 30-40+ as they are running the slow reference Python pool protocol and often have issues/get overloaded. This was never supposed to be used in production and leads to several exploits which some farmers are definitely using. The most obvious being that if a pool is too slow to claim rewards the farmer can switch to solo and claim them himself before the pool can. This is possibly what happened to Maxiopool.

Maybe you could sort that table by “Est. Daily Profitability” and one could interpret what you have just wrote as despite all your hard work you are still behind few other pools, so what gives? Are those other pools beating your pool, or you are trying to use irrelevant data to show some causation.

Funnily enough, there is a new Dilbert cartoon that explains how that works :wink:

https://dilbert.com/strip/2021-09-06?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=organic-dilbert&utm_campaign=daily-engagement&utm_content=dilbert

Love Dilbert I cannot argue with the facts.

Seriously though you’d have made 16% more here if you were with us for the past 2 weeks. I did include that chart that compares estimated daily profitability of the top pools. I believe they use the last 7 days blocks won versus average netspace to determine that.

Per Dilbert third one, “seriously you would lose 14% in the 2 weeks, before you had that streak”. It is a coin flip, so you can always pick few days in the row where you were lucky, and no amount of work improves “luck” part. Although, it may/should improve.the overall health of the pool.

As you maybe saw my other comments, I really like the data/stats you put on your website, and that speaks to me more than that 14% over the past 2 weeks (it is solid data, not picking convenient time spans). To me, that is a better metrics to decide which pool to go with (plus of course ).

One thing that I would like to see in your pool stats is inclusion of invalid partials in 'Earnings this month" chart. Even if the chart has zioch of those, it does show the health of your pool vs. other pools. Also, I would like to see a “Total Paid” next to “Unpaid Balance” block.

Nope we were slightly lucky before flexfarmer release.
We show stales and invalids on individual farmers pages. An optimized chia rig should have 0.01% or less. We process partials on our end in ms (while the python reference takes seconds) so stales are almost always on the farmers end.

Sorry, I missed that. Not sure whether I didn’t scroll that much, or rather was on the rewards page most of the time.

Its ok, there’s a lot of tabs/information haha. If your used to mining eth with us its really familiar as its the exact same.

Part of that is what model you use. Right now you have more like a strict grouping view, where I would rather like to see an advanced dashboard, where I could show/hide all those block that you have on those multiple pages.

To support your model, you really do need that extra empty spaces, what is not needed in the dashboard model (e.g., chart title, if possible should go on to chart data, to remove the dead space above the chart).

Also, I like the small font that is used in the "Active workers section, and would not mind using it all over the page (drop the big fonts).

I would also not mind to extend the page refresh rate to 5-10 minutes (I keep that page open all the time, so any auto-refresh would do it for me).

I guess, I like blue, you like yellow kind of arguments.

1 Like