Anomaly? Ubuntu 22.10, Tracker3, crashes

Just a story, an observation. My farm has external hard drives and I use a crontab script to write a few bytes and do a sync every two minutes. This activity is logged, so what. I was having crashes every four days or so and noticed a tracker being active with every write instance. The tracker is a file indexer which builds quick search tables. The one in this version of Ubuntu is called tracker3. I turned off the tracker and my chia log is looking really clean with no crashes. ‘Turning the tracker off’ procedures are hit and miss and I have one procedure still to try out. What worked for me was to ‘kill’ the tracker3 process. No reboots since then, Feb 14th and it’s March 2nd now.

2 Likes

Thanks for the story. I was not familiar with tracker3. A quick search in Stack Overflow recommended removing executable-bit on tracker3 binaries, if one wishes to disable it. Seems to be included in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS as well.

Thanks @ rantanplan. That sounds good. Just neuter it!
I’ll try that if it restarts on my next reboot. The next kernel update shouldn’t be too far in the future.