Check out the new NAS I just set up for my Chia farm -- USB JBOD

With action shot!!

:rofl:

9 Likes

Nice! Is this like the opposite of shucking?

2 Likes

The JMicron controllers in the WD drive enclosures are absolute garbage, you really don’t want to use those… here’s me copying to NAS with the bundled WD enclosure … that’s 77mb/sec

Here’s me copying to NAS with an Orico $28 enclosure (same drive, same NAS, same cable, same USB port … literally the only variable is the enclosure)… that’s 187mb/sec

Pic of the evils inside the shucked WD Elements circuit board

Closeup of the evil JMS579 from JMicron on that circuit board, in all its satanic hellfire glory

:smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Anker 4 lyffeeeeeee!

2 Likes

The only thing I think of more evil is the Seagate 4TB drive I started using for storing completed plots… once there were a few parallel copies to it the throughput rate was measurable in bytes/sec not megabytes/sec!

1 Like

Well it ain’t pretty but it gets the job done and I can migrate the drives easily to servers later…

And check out this happy lil’ guy

4 Likes

How much do those Orico enclosures run? I have a few drives lying around that I don’t have power bricks for that would do nicely to have one of those.

1 Like

$28. They are slightly fancy, aluminum shell, but I’ve found you get crap chipsets in the really cheap stuff, so I’d rather spend a tiny bit more and get something truly reliable. I like that it has a multicolor LED so it flashes red when active, on top of the blue being on. And I also like the independent power switch on the back.

(I mostly chose that brand based on the Orico NVME enclosure being of extremely high quality.)

2 Likes

I’ve been eyeing rack enclosures, but I don’t have that many drives yet. Someday!