Chia already $427. It's cheaper to buy it than to farm

when i started the calculator wasn’t out or known to me. but when i used it it said a few days to win with the set up i had, then the net space started to grow which made me buy additional hdd’s, well the rest is same for most users here… I think i was one of the first to complain way back in April

EDIT: found my original post Is it just me or do small farmers have no chance (rant)

or download the software and use your own… Requirements to set-up your own 3Node - DIY Farming - ThreeFold Forum

1 Like

It’s amazing how many people don’t understand this :slight_smile:

The amazing part is that at 70 plots a day and 260TB drivespace, he’s already sunk about 8-10K$ into this little project.

Nope, currently $18,626.83. But everything I bought, I have other uses for if I do decide to stop doing this. But I don’t see any reason to stop. But for the foreseeable future, that is all I’m spending (except for buying XCH directly).

1 Like

Sweet thankyou very much for this link

1 Like

I stuck with the hardware but at least I can convert it to the games machine, just bloody 50TB external HDD waste. Solo mining for nearly a month with 1TB NVME fried and 0 XCH reward. :frowning:

1 Like

You have 3 option I can see… 1 join unofficial pool, 2 solo farm, 3 sell your drives. These are options if your not replotting.

Actually guys, this is the best information we could have today. Low price means NO REINVESTMENTS. So we can dig more. And count on price rise in the future. We all know stories about x100 increases. I think still possible at least x20 in next 1 - 2 years.

4th option. Buy a Chia or 2 and hope the price goes up. You can do that with any of the 3 options you mentioned.

Are you buying with huge daily inflation and price on a downtrend?

@matthewjbauer

I am. If you believe in the future of the coin then buying on the downtrend is smart. Buying at the bottom is very smart, but who knows where that will be. Because if you believe in the coin, you may be expecting it to be the replacement for Bitcoin. And if XCH goes to $60k per coin, paying $400 per will sound like a joke.

Exactly , risky game, I’m dumping to rebuy, each to their own, best of luck to ya.

All crypto dream of displacing btc, not gonna happen anytime soon IMHO .

A lot of people got chia when the network was below 1 EiB, but it was pure luck to get the daily network bonuses, nowadays it’s a waste of time.

I think the “green” aspect of Chia in todays culture will make it stand out. It will just take time. As more and more people (in the general public) become aware of the energy usage of BTC, and that there is a reputable alternative, I think XCH will climb. It will take years, but that is what I believe. Time will tell if I was right.

I was planning on this being at least a 5 year venture when I started. So I’ll be patient.

1 Like

Fair play, I’m in for the long haul, but on a downtrend I’ll short, uptrend hold, if my trading skills go well, I’ll end up with a bigger bag, if not I’ve fiat for drives.

Have you a set capacity or adding more drives?

I can currently hold 2619 plots. I am still plotting and have just over 1500. I will replot for official pools when it comes time. I don’t (currently) plan on adding space any time soon.

OK, can sorta understand buying then, I’ll keep adding space, or thats current plan anyhow.

The price began to fall faster around when unofficial & unauditable pools appeared. Pool operators can be quite greedy when they can’t be caught, and there’s also been double farming on these pools. Lots of people dumping “free” XCH.

If the official pool protocol finally arrives some day, that should make everyone have more equal XCH incomes relative to their effort and investments into Chia farming. Everyone would get rid of variance, there would still be pool operators with high income but they would be much easier to audit than now. Fees should be low, I hope. If they aren’t, I will join the competition to bring them down!

This view about future events seems very likely to me, but I wouldn’t know how it would affect XCH price. It’s also heavily tied to BTC USD price, isn’t it?

In 11 or 12 days, the price of XCH has fallen by half. If we use the dollar amount fallen (not 50%), then Chia will be worthless this time next week. If we do the % fallen and average it out, we have roughly a month before XCH falls to $0. Anything could happen and there could be a rebound.