Chia vs Bitcoin

But we still have no math, just data pulled from a site with no data to back it up, that I could see anyway.

" Any currencies that had conflicting KWh published in different sources were extensively cross referenced with the goal of seeing which number repeated itself the most in order to present accurate data. "

The most repeated number doesn’t make it correct.

1 Like

Are you Dr Jones? :rofl:

Are you seriously claiming that the numbers are not close enough to draw a conclusion that Chia is not orders of magnitude more energy efficient than BTC? How about you show your math? I don’t care to try to explain to you any further. You do the math if you don’t believe the data that is currently available.

Chia Blockchain Dashboard | ChiaStatus.com

This should get you started. You can even assume a theoretical max of 20tx/sec.

I’ll be interested what you come up with.

1 Like

I never disputed any of that did I?
I wanted to see the math on this supposed $100 per transaction in power cost, as I thought that seemed a bit high. No more, no less.
Anything else you think I was debating is in your mind alone.

If you really want a fairer comparison, compare an 8 month old btc network cost per transaction.

Btc doesn’t need all that power to secure the chain, all that power is used as ppl are chasing profits.

How much would chia use if xch were 30k each?
There would be alot more elec consumed than now.

1 Like

Using that ChiaStatus.com, my understanding is that with the current transaction load, and network size, it is about 15 kWh per transaction (0.3 tWh / year, and 2k trans / hour), so not sure whether I made a mistake somewhere, or that first document is rather obsolete or used different assumptions. Still, it doesn’t change trends that much.

Of course, I don’t know what will happen in a year (or rather tomorrow), but at least to me, I really don’t care that much about transactions cost or greater decentralization, but rather whether my farming efforts are in black or red.

Also, assuming that the first document (with transaction costs) is correct, and that high power usage per transaction for BTC is that high, BTC is still the most successful coin, and is not harmed by that. So, I have really no idea how to factor transaction cost in anything that I/we do with respect to Chia. (Sure, it looks like engineering wise superior.)

Yup. We’re still good even at 400EB

https://chiapower.org/

4 Likes

Like I said, the writing is on the wall for BTC. Tick tock https://fortune.com/2022/01/05/crypto-blackouts-bitcoin-mining-bans-kosovo-iran-kazakhstan-iceland/