Compact Disks make Comeback: Memory could Exceed Petabytes

If this rolls out at an affordable price, and read speeds are somewhat fast, then lots of hard drives will go on eBay, and electricity bills will plunge.

It will also give “proof of space” a new meaning.

It is probably still a few years out.

1 Like

And if actual real world devices show up even in 10 years (they’re probably further out given the state of the research), they’ll be competing with 50+ TB hard drives and WON’T have a lot of space advantage given the current estimates.

I think it was around 2-3 years ago.
They also wanted to save EB on a tesa adhesive tape. Nothing more has been heard about it to this day.

But it’s no use for farming. The access times will probably be enough for 1-2 plots (plot filter passed). This is definitely not enough for TB or EB. So don’t hold out much hope. Especially as the price will certainly be exorbitant

I haven’t watched the video yet but wouldn’t the machinery around the discs be too expensive? Imagine having to buy an even more advanced blueray disk reader-like device for each of the disks.

1 Like

Yes, it will probably be expensive.

But if five 1PB disks can fit in the size of a 3.5" HDD enclosure, you get 5PB of storage space.

If my math is correct, 5PB of HDDs would cost $50,000 at $10 per TB. That is expensive.
Will the disks/drives in the video be that expensive? Probably. At least initially.

However, the disks in the video will probably consume close to the amount of power as a single HDD. So the savings on power would be tremendous.

Of course, if people start to load up on such drives, then we are back to square one, with no one having an advantage (just as with GPUs initially giving compressed plots an advantage, until countless people got on board).

You mean my stacks of blank CD/DVD/BD disks may still be good for something in the future? Undusting my CD changer and waiting for that new 100+ layer burner that will record one disk in about a week LOL

1 Like

The performance is a question mark. It will probably not be fast, at first, just as CD writers were initially slow.

But if the read speed is fast enough for responding to Chia challenges, and the price is affordable, it might be worth the up-front cost due to the huge savings in electricity.

I would suffer with slow write speeds, for the above savings.

But who knows what will be released? Lots of unanswered questions.

The new format will require new discs and readers/writers to use.
So no, your CD/DVD/BR discs will retain the same status they have now.