Completely remove and do fresh install

I’m stuck with chia not working and if I remove the chia-blockchain folder and follow the install guide on wiki it doesn’t help. How can I completely remove chia and install again? I’m on Ubuntu 21

(venv) thomas@diego:/home/thomas/chia-blockchain$ cd chia-blockchain-gui
(venv) thomas@diego:/home/thomas/chia-blockchain/chia-blockchain-gui$ npm run electron &
[1] 6357
(venv) thomas@diego:/home/thomas/chia-blockchain/chia-blockchain-gui$ 
> electron
> electron .

/home/thomas/chia-blockchain/app.asar.unpacked/daemon
false
Error loading config - using defaults
The futex facility returned an unexpected error code.
/home/thomas/chia-blockchain/chia-blockchain-gui/node_modules/electron/dist/electron exited with signal SIGABRT
npm ERR! code 1
npm ERR! path /home/thomas/chia-blockchain/chia-blockchain-gui
npm ERR! command failed
npm ERR! command sh -c electron .

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /home/thomas/.npm/_logs/2021-05-13T00_31_22_443Z-debug.log

You can rm -rf /home/thomas/chia-blockchain and start over with the installation instructions on GitHub.

This preserves your .chia folder which is located somewhere else and contains your private key, logs, config, downloaded blockchain, etc.

3 Likes

That works. But is there any benefit updating the chia using the guide here INSTALL · Chia-Network/chia-blockchain Wiki · GitHub vs just removing the folder and doing the fresh install?

Why do people update it instead of just deleting the folder? It is fewer steps to just delete. I came back to this question now because I’m on all those chia forks and it seems easier to always just delete the folder when there is a new version.

1 Like

copy ~/.chia/ and u good

1 Like

hi, sorry for digging up, but I could not find even a similiar answer nowhere else. If I have an installation from the source, and also second installation from binary, if I do “rm -rf /home/XXX/chia-blockchain”, I will only delete and uninstall the binary installation, right?

If you do so, it will delete only the source installation.