Do we need a roadmap about new plot format?

hey guys;
Frankly, I think there should be a road map because everyone needs to see the future in order to manage their farm.
My current situation is that I have free disk space reserved for other projects, I do not know whether it is worth filling these spaces and I want to find out. Since I don’t have a GPU this will destroy my m2 disk.

Actually, how many times do we need to destroy m2 disks to plotting?
We destroyed one for og. Another one for madmax. Another one for nossd. Now we will destroy it again for the new format. but chia is green??

what are you thinking?

I’ve replotted five time, never destroyed a disk, I did have a couple of m2 drives that got down to about 60% though. I did spend a shed load on a workstation with 256GB ram, then 512GB and some enterprise SSD’s though, all of which I still have so replotting is easy so long as it uses GPU’s.

I’m thinking I wish I never got into crypto.

4 Likes

i have mp510 i just plotted one time for OG and its dead right now.
what kind of nvme did you use?

I have replotted 400 TB 3 times and 1 TB samsung evo 970 is still alive. Third replotting is with 128 GB ram and rtx 3060 BB (each plot 10-12 min).

1 Like

I had a couple of Sabrent nvme drives but sold them before I used too much health, then some SN750 drives, but moved on to enterprise drives which i still have, and 512GB of ram.

So far, I have only plotted once - K33 OG (06/2021) and then from 07/2021 K33 NFT. Recently I reploted some TB from OG to NFT when I had ETW around 1,000% and I was wondering if everything was OK - so I tried everything…).

I recommend this “strong man”:

I have two (1 TB version) and they are still holding up great after making 0.6 PiB plots (at a time when the data was flying around for several hours to make K33…).

EDIT:
The fact that they were additionally well cooled - I have 13 fans in the case. Plus one in the power supply…

2 Likes

There’s no way to predict the future, if that’s what you’re asking for.

But think of all the new friends you made!

2 Likes

First, don’t buy cheap m2’s, second you need to collect a plotting machine and farming machine. When you try to do too many things on one machine, it creates problems, I can hear you yelling all the way over here…

The 970’s are great disks, I have 8 of them, 4 per adapter. Still cooking no issues.

I still have a 4x Samsung 970 pro going strong but like most everyone else have pivot over to “way too much” RAM … only to walk full circle now dusting off my 3000 series GPUs.

“All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination…” of the top 100 tokens on CoinGecko.com. T.G.I.F.!

yeah that was the my first question. how can i look forward without road map?

1 Like

With a clean window and just drive!!!

I have a 1.6TB one of these.

In a software Raid 0 array with another hardware raid 0 array of DC 3710 200GB SSD’s.

I made a 12 hard drive RAID 0 on a DELL R720. 12 pieces of 4TB SAS. Dirt cheap, large capacity, speedy, and die hard. Faster than RAM disk in Linux. I could never configure the ram disk correctly, however.

Plotted in full size in Ram and used ram as temp storage.
Here my plotter specs Show off your rigs! - #381 by bag_of_chia

Have we all read this:

The section on backwards compatibility looks interesting.