Docking station compatibility with drive capacity

I have read too many complaints about various multi-bay enclosures, including Syba units.
But the Syba units seem to have better pass / fail grade from customer reviews.

As such, I would not roll the dice with a used unit from eBay.

I have taken chances with used / renewed / refurbished hard drives, because of the volume of purchases adding up to significant upfront savings, and having a pain-free option to return any drives with issues. But dealing with an eBay sale opens the door to more risks, and all the more with used equipment that people complain about even when purchased new.

I am not sure what you mean?
All drives, after formatting, present reduced space. What does being 3.5" form factor have to do with it?

The same space that 12tb takes up could be a 18tb diskā€¦

This is not for Chia.
This is for my ancient i7 Gen 1, 4-core CPU, daily driver, from 2005.

I was debating with myself if even 12TB is overkill. But the price was too attractive to resist.
My LaCie USB drive (that lost its partition and then it reappeared) is only 5TB, and I never filled it.

My 12TB drive is its replacement.

Iā€™ve not read the whole thread, only just seen this. I have a near identical one, pretty much exactly the same case, but the name is Fidico, I also have a Tooploo which does look different, both have worked with 18TB drives. If you look in the Question and Answer section people say it relates to the cloning and/or the physical dimensions of the drive.

I do not remember, with specificity, the nature of the complaints. I read reviews for many different docking stations and many different enclosures (it becomes a blur).

Yes, many complaints were for cloning. But it was not clear if the cloning was the issue, or if the unit itself was the issue, and people just happened to be cloning when they had issues (meaning, they might have had issues for non-cloning use).

People were complaining about losing data; drives becoming unusable, etc.
Some folks warned that you should format your drive outside of the unit, to avoid issues, etc.

I asked questions in youtube videos, and did not get satisfactory answers (and most of the time, no answer).

I made inquiries with the manufacturers about drive capacities, because many of them list in their description a 4TB or 8TB limit. I tried to find out whether that capacity limit was for the cloning feature, and if not using the cloning feature, could you use larger capacity drives?

Only one manufacturer replied (and it was like pulling teeth to get an answer ā€“ a reply is not the same as an answer).

I finally had enough, and went with the Syba unit, based on others writing that they were using 16TB or 18TB drives, including folks in this forum. And the Syba units do not break the bank. They also have a built-in fan, and room for additional drives.

Lastly, I did not want to wait, because my LaCie USB drive that lost its partition was suddenly working, and I had an opportunity to copy everything elsewhere.

With the eSATA option, fan, high-capacity drive support, reasonable price, and what appears to be pretty good build quality, I made the purchase.

Yeah, information overload does my head in too. I bought a plug in USB fan to keep my drives cool when I used the docking station over the summer - a built in fan would be very useful.

Never used the cloning feature, I just use software on the computer instead, I wouldnā€™t trust it.

1 Like

It seems that many people either do not understand how to clone a drive using their computer, or they are in some type of a business where that would be unnecessary overhead.

So they buy a docking station that offers independent cloning ā€“ no computer required.
It does simplify things if all you are doing is cloning.

I, too, would be concerned with trusting the results of the built-in cloning feature.

At least with Windows, Linux, IOS, you are dealing with mature operating systems that will not screw up a file copy or sector-by-sector copy.

I use Niubi Partition editor, in fact I just cloned my servers 1TB NVME OS drive to a 2TB NVME, it even allows me to alter the size of the partitions to suit. From shutting down the server to powering it back on with the new NVME driveit took about 90 minutes. Lets just hope it solves the problem of my disappearing OS drive - a simple power off and on and it would come back.

One thing I will say is that Chia coped perfectly every time the drive disappeared resulting in a OS crash, I fully expected to have database problems, but not once and it must of happened 3 or 4 times now.

1 Like

For partition tasks, I have been using minitool.
The free version is feature rich, easy to use, and has no nag pop-ups, etc.

It has a cloning feature, which I never used. But it probably works great, just as all of the toolā€™s other features work.

I am not familiar with Niubi Partition editor. You made me curious. I will take a look.

It sounds like you have (or had) a hardware problem.
If it was the drive, then you should be okay with your new drive.

If it was the M.2 slot, and you are still booting from that same slot, then you might still have the same issue.

I had two 1TB SN750 NVME drives in there, sometime back the other drive would disappear, then it was OK for quite a while, then the OS drive started doing it. Googling didnā€™t seem to have an answer, but plenty of other SN750 owners seemed to be having similar issues. What I did find seemed to suggest it could be BIOS related, so thought Iā€™d try a different drive. The motherboards a Supermicro X12SCA-F.

Iā€™ve downloaded Minitool - it might well be useful, thanks.

My remarks on minitool are based off of my old version:
10.2.2 from 2017

Sometimes newer versions of any software are not always better, or might including something annoying.

Hopefully, your current version, that you just downloaded, will serve you well.

I tend to not upgrade software that runs smoothly, and checks off all of the right boxes on my want list.
I make exceptions only when I discover a new ā€œmust haveā€ feature, or become aware of a security issue, etc. That why I am still using the minitool release from 2017.