Does Chia Plotting kill your NVME drives?

After a week of plotting : I lost 3% of their life

1 Like

That percentage shows how close you are to a TBW number, which is a minimum, and often only linked to when your warranty expires. It doesn’t mean your drive will die when you hit 0%. I have SSDs that have done more than 3x their TBW and are still running fine.

So when you hit 0%, and after that if your drive dies… Sabrent may not replace it for you. But most likely your drive will continue to work properly for a lot more time…

4 Likes

If it is the 2 TB model, is has a TBW of 3600GB, a plot writes about 1.8GB, so you should get a least 2000 plots out of it according to the manufacturer.

might keep working after that, might not. In any case, generally speaking plotting will kill SSD’s in a hurry

4 Likes

Something wrong with your math here… are you saying TBW is 3600GB PER DAY? It’s “T”BW (Terabyte.) That drive’s TBW is around 3800GB PER DAY (700 TBW over 5 years.) Which means you could get over 2,000 plots per day for a year before having an issue with warranty coverage.

Just replace GB with TB and all is well :innocent:

*The Sabrent 2TB has a TBW of 3600TB, one plot writes about 1.8TB, so 2000 plots total in ssd lifetime

Yeah my math’s off a bit too, just want to make sure we’re giving proper info here :slightly_smiling_face: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2TB NVMes have a 5 year warranty at 700 TBW. If you use up the 700 TBW in one year, it is ~1900GB per day. If you use that amount over 5 years it’s around 383GB per day. Amazingly enough, that drive has a theoretical throughput of 570TB PER DAY but you’d bottleneck far below that elsewhere.

Prior art on this:

2015, using 250gb SSDs:

TL;DR

• Samsung’s 840 Series 250GB – survived to 900TB write
  • Samsung’s 840 Pro 256GB – survived to 2400TB write

AND THAT 840 NON-PRO IS A CRAPPY LOW END VALUE TLC DRIVE! Look up the manufacturer’s rated write endurance for the drive. That model. It is 72TB. Now look at what it actually delivered. 900TB.

And here, an 850 Pro survived to 9100TB writes.

I would assume manufacturers have gotten even better at this since Ye Olde 850 and 840 series? Those drives are quite old now.

Anyway, I’m not taking anyone’s word for “the drive will wear out at this exact TBW line” because the 2015 and 2017 study data says otherwise. If someone has new, concrete 2021 data, I’m all ears. But show me the data.

(Also, buy Samsung. There are some very crap drives out there. Samsung has been an absolute rock for me, and in our datacenter hosting. Look up the Puget system data. It’s incredible. The Samsung SSDs were MORE RELIABLE THAN THE INTEL CPUS!)

2 Likes

Looking at this as multiples:

• 840 non pro, 250gb – survived to 900 terabytes / 250gb = 3600
  • 840 pro, 256gb – survived to 2400 terabytes / 256gb = 9375
  • 850 pro, 256gb – survived to 9100 terabytes / 256gb = 35547 :scream:

Those are INCREDIBLE real world results. Just mind blowing. Especially the 850 pro. Good LORD.

Official Samsung page for 850 pro says

• 256 GB → 150 TBW
  • 512 GB / 1 TB → 300 TBW
  • 2 TB → 450 TBW
  • 4 TB → 600 TBW
3 Likes

Sadly no, the max you could get out of that drive would be around ~80TB per day since it’s steady state performance is around 1000MB/sec (which is still decent). Likely the true number when not doing sequential writes but more complicated seeks and random writes performance will be much lower though.

1 Like

Using an SSD, you’ll lose performance due to not being able to write as quickly as an M.2 drive, right? I’d love to see similar results with M.2 drives of various manufacturers and models.

1 Like

Samsung Evo Plus 1TB
After 2 months of plotting, and then replotting… luckily now I’m nearly done with nft plots.