Drives only spinning up if plugged in via USB

I am attempting to plug some shucked drives in and some of them will not spin up or show any life when plugged in via sata… but they work fine if I use a USB connetion.

These are specifically WD 14tb drives, and some, but not all, won’t spin up or do anything at all when plugged in via sata. But plugged in usb they work fine. What could be the issue?

2 Likes

It might be this issue:

6 Likes

yo tha man! just put a little electrical tape over that 3rd pin on one of the drives that wasnt spinning up sata and BAM it span up!

only some have the problem… even with same model number some do some dont.

4 Likes

is that third pin needed for anything? some ppl in the comments of ur link said they just bent the pin out

edit: actually I have great news… my ds4246 spins up these disks even when sata will not, so no need to mod them, I’ll just plot these ones over usb if I need to.

5 Likes

You’re too fast to help, I’m reporting you for speeding :scream:

3 Likes

The option I went with was MOLEX to SATA power pigtails - no taping or pulling pins on drives needed (doesn’t have the orange cable). The only downside… MOLEX lol.

1 Like

This is the police! Pull over!! You have been reported for speeding!

3 Likes

You left the Party City price tag on your costume; nice try Lieutenant Dangle.

What! That’s not a price tag, its an officer of the month award for writing the most tickets! Don’t make me call for backup!

2 Likes

Any relationship to this scofflaw?

1 Like

Ha, love it - between that, Get Smart, and Columbo, that’s pretty much what TV nights were at my house growing up.

The other Dangle though, they had half a shelf of fake mustaches and shorts that were 2 sizes too small for the Reno 911 cop outfit. A bad a costume as one could get, a joke of a joke :rofl:

1 Like

Kaplan tape works better than electrical tape, as it’s not as thick and is “tougher”.
Also, most “server” class equipment doesn’t attach Pin 3 to anything on the backplane, which also works.

1 Like

Yes my DS4246 thankfully spins up the drives