Drives to the limit

When all the drives become red, I’m leaving it like that, maybe stay solo.

What are your plans?

Delete them all and start over. Just for the fun of it.

6 Likes

yeah farming is real boring :joy:

1 Like

You make me laugh, lol…

I contemplated running the chia plots check command on my farmer server and any plot that doesn’t show a 5 second or less timing would be removed to free up storage space to plot again. And once full again, start checking plots and replotting the ones with a bad or lower timing. But… I haven’t started that process yet. And if pools come out soon, I will definitely go for one.

1 Like

A plot file is not responsible for response times. If you have 5 second or more response times, it has to do with your setup (network, hardware, resources). Not the file itself. And chia plots check does not check response times. It checks the validity of the file itself. Nothing to do with time.

If I run the command and get something like 45/30 (I forget where that number comes from) which would be 1.5, would that be bad? or are we looking for 29 or 28/30 or 31 or 32/30 etc. The closer to 30/30, the better?

This is true. Don’t delete the plot because its response time is greater than 5 seconds. If it’s on the same setup, your next new plot will get the same response time.

There are a lot of opinions on whether the numbers returned actually determine the “value” of a plot file. But that number has nothing to do with time.

Wish to know the exact thing about this.
If I run 10 proofs, some plots get “greater” than 10, some “less” than 10.
A hint that there is something to it is that: the returns are the same even you run 5 times; same result on the same plot files.

Possible “greater than” returns:
15/10
Possible “less than” returns:
6/10

What to do:

My plot response time is greater than 5 seconds: check your connections, wired Internet instead of wifi, USB 3 instead of USB 2, physically connected instead of shared over the Network, etc

The return value of the plot is less than the value I entered: (this part is open for debate), I personally delete plots with low returns, say 1/10, 2/10

chia plots check decides your plotfile qualities (sometimes called unlucky plots)

The chia plots check CLI utility is a tool for detecting plot files containing bad data that will fail to farm. It is sending out a static challenge, with a diff fitting the kXX size of the plotfile, so that it, on average, should return -n proofs. It does not, in any way, indicate if a plot is more likely to win against the random challenges created on the network during normal operations. This check does not mean that they are then worse or better against other, real-world challenges. It is merely a tool to detect plots that are either unable to be harvested at all, or are returning proofs far outside the expected norm due to an error in generation.

1 Like

Return to real life. Lol.

In addition to plot checks, beef up IT security. Figure out how to set up vlans so that I can sandbox in the crypto pcs and IoT devices. I would think that people who mine/farm would be more attractive targets for being hacked.

As an IT guy who deals with credit card security and Health info security and info that should not leak over the internet etc, I could honestly care less. I have my server wide open. Port 80 is forwarded (for web server traffic I have yet to work on). RDP is also open and forwarded so I can RDP into my server from the outside and connect through my server (now on the inside) to any PC on my network. I have anti virus and firewalls running on my server. I have remote monitoring software running. But… Honestly, I’ve been hacked 1 time and lost everything to ransomware. I have nothing to lose now that can’t be recovered online. Speed and convenience is #1 for me as opposed to security. I’ll mitigate any threat as it happens.