FARMING on Linux (Ubuntu) with a Intel NUC

Hello guys,
So as my Farm gets bigger and bigger which is about 120TB (16HDD‘s) im planning on buying a Mini PC (Intel NUC) and install Linux on it.
Can Linux detect my ,standard“ Formated external drives?
Which Linux Version is the best for what I am planning to do?
So under Windows I can only assign as much Drives as letters (D-Z) are free, how much Drives can Linux manage for me?
The Idea of me is, that a single, small NUC PC is consuming way less power than a big Desktop PC.

I hope anyone can help me with this :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks!
Greetings

• XCHeisenberg

Angebot: Mini PC, Intel Celeron N3450 8GB DDR4, 128GB M.2 SATA SSD, Mini Desktop Computer, AWOW AL34 Micro PC, Windows 10 Home, 4K HD, Dual HDMI 1.4, 2.4G/5G Dual WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, 4 X USB, BT 4.2 Mini PC, Intel Celeron N3450 8GB DDR4, 128GB M.2 SATA SSD, Mini Desktop Computer, AWOW AL34 Micro PC, Windows 10 Home, 4K HD, Dual HDMI 1.4, 2.4G/5G Dual WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, 4 X USB, BT 4.2: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

This would be the system I think of.
It’s only for farming the already Finished Plots.

Maybe you can learn something from here:

1 Like

Will follow this post!
Thanks!

Actually Windows can also map drives to a folder, so you are not limited A-Z. Ubuntu does this by default so no drive letters. How many max? I dunno, a Lot :joy:

Yes, no problem

1 Like

How can I map drives to a folder?
And is chia then also able to find these Plots on these folders?

should work just like any other drive, just add the new path to the Chia plot list

1 Like

Wow very cool and informational!
Will definitely try this one out when I’m home from vacation.
You think my idea with a mini pc will work out if I have +30hard drives?
Or are those hard drives to much for just one single mini pc?

Hi, I have a small farm (220TB) running on RPi4 and have learned a lot in the process of setting it up. You can definitely run a farm on RPi and do not need a NUC which is a bit overkill in my mind. The biggest issue you may run in to is the limit of USB devices that can be connected to your farmer and from my experience this is a hit or miss depending on hardware. RPi does not support more than 32 total I believe and note that hubs will count as 1+ device as they typically have multiple 4 port hubs inside so devices quickly add up. A part from your USB device limit the other biggest pain I encountered was the use of exFAT which is slow and uses a lot of CPU on Linux. If you want to move the HDDs between Linux and Windows then format the drives using NTFS on Windows and you will be able to use them just fine on Linux. Lastly, this is more for RPi side, when installing Chia on your farmer you want to use a relatively fast storage for your Chia net & wallet DBs (by default these go in to your home folder) and not a cheap SD card as you will run in to issues. I hope this helps.

1 Like

I already bought the mini pc today for around 170€…
I will try to run everything in Windows if it all works it’s great, if not I return the mini pc to Amazon :slight_smile:

If your running a farm on linux, using a smaller machine, and are using pool plots I’d suggest getting into our closed beta. Our farmer eliminates a lot of the overhead getting core use under 1% and keeping memory use under 1gb. If you join our discord channel and tag Chris2 I’ll invite you.Link

Its very annoying to get the node to sync on a pi(or other small system) and then imagine it goes down and you got to do it all over again.