For farming - RTX 4060 Ti 16GB GDDR6?

However, if I wanted to compress…

GV-N406TGAMING OC-16GD

First GPU with 16GB at a decent price…
What is more important: more RAM (16GB) or a weaker data bus (128 bit) interfaces.
Do you recommend for farming with max. 1PiB with only oryginal CHIA BB compression
(no GG/NoSSD) after 1/256?
Important for me - size - L<=285mm

For plotting separetly, on another machine - RTX 3080 with 10GB?
Son’s equipment (up for grabs) :wink:

I regret that when assembling the mini-server for CHIA, I thought that there was no point in relying on CPU-GPU and I bought any card … 1050 Ti 4GB. How could I know. It was just a computer for CHIA.

Most of the high GPU memory builds I’ve seen in here were from people plotting and farming at the same time, if you’re plotting on the 3080 machine, having a 16GB card in your farming rig might be overkill. But if physical GPU length is the deciding factor, get whatever fits!

I’m not in the PiB club so I can’t comment on farm sizing but the estimator (XCH.farm | Max Compressed Farm Size Estimator ) for 3060TI and 3070 (doesn’'t have 4060TI listed in there) shows you’re in the ballpark.

Someone might want that 1050TI though (basic GOG/Steam 720p peasant gamer card) - ebay time.

1 Like

RTX 4060 is an overkill for farming.

1 Like

Surely that would depend on the size of your farm?

1 Like

Better something bigger, with more to spare.
Who knows what we will need in the next 2 years to grow chia.
I don’t want to make the same mistake as I did with purchasing the 1050Ti.
I would probably buy something from the RTX2xxx series - but as you remember, there were practically no new GPUs in stores at that time.
It’s better to buy once… and right - as my grandfather used to say.

My question - is the amount of RAM or the bus speed more important in a GPU (this card has 16GB but unfortunately only 128 bit) - although you will probably say that … both parameters.

Farming requires much less bandwidth than plotting so it’ll be absolutely fine with 128 bit. The VRAM (16GB) is overkill IMHO, but that’s not a problem.

Actually, for just farming, neither VRAM or bus speed matter all that much. Higher VRAM requirements are only necessary for the higher GH 2.0 and NoSSD v2 compression levels, or if plotting and farming at the same time on the same graphics card. 16 GB of VRAM is still more than enough for those. Bus speed usage is very minimal when farming, in the 10s of MB/s when being used. So even using a Pcie x1 bus width would be fine to farm with.

1 Like

Thanks Garethrn & van_dan5!
But even though farming has such low requirements - my 1050Ti with 4GB VRAM is useless…
I would like to compress with BB.
Unfortunately, I only have 64GB RAM - as announced, can we soon expect a new version of BB with 64GB RAM support?

No. It’s been stated many times, not going to happen.

Hey!
Thanks for the info.

I based the information from this website:

That was the intention, but they had issues with 64GB, and as 16GB and 128GB mode were both working, 64GB mode got shelved.

I think there may be issues on Windows with 16GB mode though.

Best advice, switch to Gigahorse.

1 Like

I’m refreshing the post.
Do any of you already work with such a card?
How important is this lower line bandwidth compared to greater memory?
Is it worth it?

How will it work in plotting?