Gigahorse GPU Plotter, GPU Farmer, Plot Sink: Boost Your Chia Farm by 47.2%! Plot in <2 Minutes

Excellent points. The people who saw the sponsorship when they started MadMax Plotter every time who used an open sourced plotter decided they would go to a different pool than who sponsored Max. They did not even have to use FlexFarmer, they could have still shown support for FlexPool and their sponsorship for Max. Instead they all went to a centralized pool with 10X more netspace.

Make no mistake Plot2.0 and Gigahorse will kill OG plots and non-OP pools (Hpool). Once this happens we will then have a pool centralization problem made up of the people who claimed they went there to prevent centralization. The same people who are now complaining about a miner fee.

Next time support the devs in the space, pay attention to the pools who are supporting them also. When is the last time SP supported any dev work in this space??? Lastly listen to the OG crypto people in this space (people who have been here more than 5 years) and what they are doing and who they are also supporting (I personally donated to Max before the Flexpool deal because of the amazing work he did with his plotter). They have made it this far in crypto for a reason. Or you can listen to the guys who left already after a year when they failed to get rich quick.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your contributions Max! I really wish the Chia team would show you the value of your contributions. With that said, I completely understand that you should be compensated for your work and the work of your friends.

Is the delay in release now not due to the compression technology but, the development of the smart contract for the DevFee? Also, from what it sounds like, the fee structure would be roughly 6.25% or, every other farmer reward correct?

Also, from what I understand, to collect a DevFee. The plots will need to utilize a farmer seed that you control and the farmer reward sent to you. Your smart contract would then need to identify the farmer that reward came from and either send the reward back or, retain it and send the back the next one. Is this roughly what will happen? If so, why not consider reducing the DevFee to 3.125% or every fourth farmer reward which, would bring your farmer much more inline with other third party PoW miners. These rewards are collected in perpetuity which, could be HIGHLY profitable given a 5-10 year timeframe. Why turn people away with an objectively high DevFee when you could stand to make more by getting more farmers to use your software by reducing it.

Also, if your farmer seed has to receive the reward, why keep the reward in whole increments? Why not apply the DevFee to each farmer reward and send back the remainder? This could also allow you to reduce the fee to 2% which is near a standard in PoW miners.

You absolutely deserve to be fairly compensated but, I just think perpetuity needs to be remembered. I can only imagine the life the Dev of Claymore Miner is living now with 5 or 6 years of thousands of miners using his miner with a 1% DevFee!

1 Like

Yes you are right, I just had a talk with my partners and we decided to reduce the fee to 3.125% for GPU farmer and 1.56% for CPU farmer.
The fee will not go entirely to me personally, as there was significant investment from other people to make this happen.

Not sure what you mean by farmer seed. The plots will be regular OG or NFT plots, with both keys and the NFT in your control. The plot private key will not be visible to you however.

There is no need for any smart contracts. Every 4th 0.25 XCH is 3.125% and every 8th is 1.56%.

I would like to open source this in like 3 years if possible. So I don’t think of the dev fee as existing for that long. It all depends on actual income later.

6 Likes

If I understand correctly, it seems that they did:

1 Like

To be fair, those 5 figures was 10k USD. I did appreciate it for sure though. Back then I still had a full time job, so it was a nice bonus.

9 Likes

He was rewarded for all this hard work for Chia, now its a new ball game

M M X

I am a massive fan of CNI and the team behind it but 10k seems a very low price for the MadMax plotter code.

1 Like

I’m confused. Poor investor video said this is NOT related to Chia. It’s front and center on a Chia forum. Am I the only one confused?

I think that’s great to hear Max. You’ve added a tremendous amount of value to the Chia community and I’m happy to support you for your hard work!

With that said, if in 5 years say, you decide that you’ll pull the DevFee, would that require a replot or, is that just a switch you flip on your end? Or will that be a setting unlocked for the farmer aka, donate every other reward, every third, fourth, etc? That way people could still contribute if they so choose (after you pull the dev fee)?

Also, to plot k33, would that require 256GB of ram?

My main farmer runs off a server that I would probably have some amount of difficulty getting a GPU any larger than what I already have in there (half-height 1050ti). Will it be possible to run the GPU farmer with a much more powerful GPU from another computer on the network? If so, do you have an idea of what the performance penalty might be?

Lastly, what’s the earliest we could expect this? I’ve got a little over 2 PiB of OG plots I would love to start transitioning to compressed plots but, I don’t want to make any changes to my setup until I have a better idea what will be required.

Thank you again for your hard work!

3 Likes

i think these are really reasonable fees and if selfpooling is possible or more pools support your plots to avoid the lookin problem i see good chances that this will pay off in the end.

if the chia 2.0 plott format also requires a replott and no conversion of existing plotts is possible you will have a new customer with 1.5PiB :wink:

however this will continue in the near future i wish you much success with your project!

1 Like

For the open source direction, ideally the support for my plots will be added to chiapos, so you can farm using the official node from Chia. There is no need to re-plot.

384 GB for full RAM mode, 256 GB for partial mode

Yes later, without any penalty.

Couple of weeks

Not yet.

3 Likes

When can we download and start running it? Will there be a Beta? Can’t wait to try tit out :grinning:

Compressed plots, gpus etc are all good developments for Chia in my mind as it strengthens the network and also signals to those outside the community that meaningful advancements are still happening. Can’t think of a better outcome than Max and Chia (the company) working on this rather than and adversary / attacker.

Also tb, personally I don’t really care what the fee is. Max has given so much to the community and know his heart is in the right place. 100% happy to support that.

2 Likes

(from your reply to me) …the plot thickens! Bravo Mad Max. This takes burning rubber to a whole new level. This stuff is so complex and revolutionary (as it pertains to PoST) it baffles my mind. I know. Maybe that’s not saying much. I hope you can line your pockets from this. It’s not in line with my budgetary focus for farming Chia but as an observer it’s fascinating to see where this goes from here.

There’s a CPU plotter also, and at some point farming on Intel iGPU and AMD APUs will be supported as well.

3 Likes

So is Chia also going to be releasing some sort of compressed plot in Chia 2.0 as well?

Lots of things coming out. It sure is interesting!

Hi Max,

Can you give any details on how much vram is optimal for gpu plotting vs farming? Would 8gb 2080s be better or worse than say a 12gb 3060?

I currently have a 3070TI 8gb that I’m thinking of using for plotting but want to purchase another gpu for my farmer. Trying to decide between a 2080 or a 3060 12GB. I have about 1.5PB and I’d like to run C7 or C8

Thanks again for all your hard work and contribution to the Chia eco system. More than happy to support you by paying a dev fee!

Hello, I’m glad you have promoted the development of chia. In China, many farms are 32-bit 24-bit harvesters. In fact, the capacity of a machine=512TB or 384TB. If C8 compression is performed, what type of GPU or CPU is required

I guess Chia will be releasing some information concerning all these new exciting developments later this week with a Q&A Livestream next week, will help bring some clarification to all this and how it will affect Chia,

Link goes to a reddit thread where Sargonas (A Chia employee) states this.

32bit is only supported by flexfarmer I think? If so then we do plan to support compressed plots

So if I got all of that right, a RTX 3060 (170W) could be sufficient for a 4PiB farm at level 7 compression. That shaves off about 25% of the plot size.

Current netspace is 21EiB = 21,504PiB
21,504PiB/4PiB = 5,376 of those cards needed (unrealistic, ideal minimum for this example).
That’d be a total power draw of about 915kW. 24/7 for a year results in around 8,000,000kWh/a or 8GWh/a.
That is the equivalent of the energy requirement of about 4,000 households.

By compressing plots that way this GPU energy consumption results in a “virtual” gain of 25% storage. It’s equivalent to adding 5.25EiB of netspace. Yet, without increasing the node count.
Assuming the 0.19TWh annual energy consumption of the whole network shown on chiapower.com is correct, adding 25% more netspace to the network increase the consumption by 47.5GWh per year or 0.0475TWh/a.

For some perspective:

• A standard on-shore wind turbine with a common 2-3MW generator can harvest around 6GWh of wind energy per year.
  • A modern nuclear power plant often runs two generator of around 1.6GW each, so about 3.2GW with 93% of operation time/efficiency. That can yield around 0.26TWh/a.
  • The BTC network alone is drawing around 115TWh/a (equivalent to the yearly yield of almost 20k modern on shore wind turbines or 450 nuclear power plants)

Sure, there are 100,000 Chia nodes and not just about ~5,300. Many more will “waste” energy by over-provisioning GPU power. Yet, not every node will operate said RTX 3060.
Yet, it is far away from “entirely killing the spirit of Chia” as some might have implied.

On the upside, old GPUs could be reused in smaller farms just like old server hardware (and drives) are used to farm with upcycled hardware in the first place.

Also, future GPUs (and CPUs) will become more efficient, whereas it is unreasonable to assume that the motors of spinning hard drives have a lot of untapped energy savings left. SSDs would bring significant power savings, but with just about 2.5EiB of SSD storage being produced globally per year it is unreasonable to assume the Chia network will soon switch to storing plots on SSDs.

Very important to note:
The energy required to replot is not taken into account in those back of the envelope calculations, of course.

The big question remains: Why all that?
For the network itself there is no benefit in just having more plots. It won’t affect the number of transactions and neither increase the security of the network. This can only be achieved by having more nodes, and not by this “virtual” increase of netspace.
The only benefit is on the level of an individual farmer to have a slight edge over others at the cost of an increase operating operating and the additional need to replot (cost for energy + hardware-wear).

All that brings me to:
What are the real risks when deciding to switch to those compressed plots?
What if the network is switched over to k34 or even k35 plots? What would the GPU-/hardware requirements be to operate your proposed compressed plots? Is it even achievable with today’s hardware?

And what keeps Chia from transitioning to higher k-values earlier?
The only thing that comes to mind is that the transition cost will be hard for every farmer as replotting is required, which could deter some farmers. But what if the transition to higher k-value plots would be announced ahead of time. As in “you have 6 months to transition to k34/k35”.
The incentivize replotting a new official (low-risk) plot format could help if it offers some (maybe not 25%) space savings, but enough so that it exceeds what the higher k-value plots need as excess in storage. :thinking:

6 Likes