Harvester latency

Hi, when I was farming uncompressed plots, by latency as reported by the official chia app (in Windows) was around 1-2 seconds. Not that I am farming compressed plots (mix of c18 and c20), it’s gone up to 4-5 seconds. Googling the “max” latency a farm should have, I am seeing different answers. Some say less than 8 seconds is fine while others say it should stay below 3 seconds.

What is the right answer? Note the pool that I farm with is not reporting any stale partials so does that mean I’m okay with that, but have a reduced chance of winning a block?

Thanks!

If you aren’t getting any stale partials you are good and I wouldn’t expect you to with only a 4-5 second latency.

Under 8 seconds is the general rule I have seen go around. I believe that the error logging was changed in v2.x of the CNI client to that 8 second threshold, but I don’t remember.

You start to see stale partials as your latency starts to get closer to the 9.375 second signage point interval, usually seeing occasional stales before that limit. Signage points are not exactly 9.375 s apart for one, generally ranging from 8-10 seconds. Also, the plots that pass the filter for each signage point are on average 1/512 plots, for now, but this number also fluctuates with more (compressed) plots passing the filter meaning more computations needed and more latency. There’s also network latency to take into account: how quickly from being created did you get a signage point challenge and how much of a delay there is in sending your partials to a pool.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s a very helpful explanation

Hi,
believe me, it is not just the delay that creates the win.
You just need to get the right challenge that fits your plot.
If you are unlucky and your plots often compete with other plots that have better pings on the nodes - it will not be of any use to you.
Of course, the “standard of decency” is something around 5s.
Take a look at my latency results and recently recorded (un)luck of 1090%:

May the force be with you!
Good luck!

Wow! Is that milliseconds??

Hi,
yes, the graph has a scale expressed in milliseconds.
With a small farm (0.6 PB), my results are not extraordinary at all.
Other farmers probably have even better results.
On my farmer’s computer, with a small number of plots, I can easily go below 5 ms.
Sometimes even less than 1 ms.
But as I mentioned, this is not the most important thing.
Yes, you have to represent a certain speed, but what matters is… luck - who you will be competing against from other parts of the world…
Who will provide better proof of compatibility and which nodes will transmit it faster.
On your computer - you are only responsible for the first stage of the race…

1 Like