Has anyone here personally killed an NVME ? (NVME Endurance)

Looks like you were just unlucky and got a bad one, it happens.

One thing about those Samsung NVMes is that they run hot. If you don’t have a heatsink and a decent airflow, most likely you will kill it. In my case, in addition to a heatsink, I also added a 60mm fan next to it.

2 Likes

Totally agree. My case already had multiple large fans but I still added heatsinks to all NVME’s. Here is the one I used and has been great.

In a server with limited space and powerful air flow, I used these.

1 Like

After 6 months…we finally have a winner :joy:

4 Likes

Every time I run that program I want to make lemonaid…

Currently using 2 × 1 TB Corsair MP600 in Raid0. Both at 2200 TBW(Warranty ended at 1800 TBW). No issues yet. Furthermore got 2 × 2 TB Corsair MP600 ready in case they die. So I’m probably good for the next 6000+ plots.

yeah, its hilarious. I was reading this thread how people have pedabytes written, and just thinking I was solid forever. and then my plotter starts throwing critical errors on startup because of the bad drive xD

Do you mean 300TB of plots or 300TBW? What size is your 970 evo?

I have two WD_Black SN 750 500gb drives. One with 1.2 PB written (0% left) and one with 1.4 PB written (0% left) but the warranty doesn’t specify how much is covered under the warranty. No problems yet though, either way. I’ve also been using them combined with 110gb RAMdrives so I’m sure that’s helped.

Didn’t kill any NVMe yet however, I killed a couple of cheap SATA SSDs already.

I finally had a 980 Pro 512GB die on me last night… it probably plotted maybe 25-30 16TB drives? (This is just an ETA I didn’t really keep track or take a reading from it). It was used alongside a 128GB ramdisk and is not detected anymore haha.

So that’s about 1500 tbw, not bad for a 500gb

My apologies for the late response, it was less than 300 TB of plots created. My drive was 2 TB.

That’s about 3900 tbw, not too bad really

Not yet! My little 500GB SN750 is still hanging in there! Got 2 of them sitting over 1PiB writes!

Have you thought about retiring them into regular farming drives ?

Using them as buffer drives for Bladebit now. I’ve switched over to 512GB of ram and given them a little lighter work load.

1 Like

1 Like

Samsung should give me an award. Real use test. No performance loss of 6000 TBW.

2 Likes

Maybe if you contact them, they will ask to get the drive back and send you a new one, just like toyota did to their customers with very high mileage cars :slight_smile: Probably not, but maybe.

2 Likes