Help to understand and maybe also for the setup

I have been trying to set up my setup for several days now.
Somehow I still have understanding questions. Maybe someone can help me? That would be very nice.

Scenario wish:
Farming on many machines · Chia-Network/chia-blockchain Wiki · GitHub

• DS918+ with Docker as Main PC (26TB free space)
  • HPZ440 with 98GB RAM, Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3 @3.5GHz as plotter/harvester (Windows 10 Insider Preview 21376.1)
  • Old server with Inel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz as plotter/harvester (Windows Server 2019 Datacenter 1809)

Scenario that I have:

• HPZ440 and the
  • old server.
    GUI installed version 1.1.6

Both currently synchronised. (should not be as far as I have understood, should only be one in the network )

The 5 plots I have so far are displayed as “not found plots”. No matter whether I have them on the server or directly on the HDD on the HP Z440.

I am very GUI oriented, which is also the reason why I haven’t started on the NAS yet.

I also have a lot of problems with plotting stopping at 1%…
Is this due to the memory? Or have I not found a forum contribution here?

My thoughts so far:

• It should not be the network, as it is expanded to 1GB (slower than directly connected, I am aware).
  • Have I not done the CA certification correctly?

Does anyone have any instructions for “dummies”?
Or would someone even be willing to give me a few tips via Discord?

Thank you very much for reading and for your answers.

I wish you a pleasant evening.

So you should have the following setup:

• 1 full node (farmer + harvester)
  • Multiple plotters + harvesters

There’s a great tutorial to setup on connecting multiple machines on the same network.

Key part of this is importing the CA correctly, and setting config host harvester IP to your full node (in your case the DS918+.

As far as no found plots, check the logs. If you see “Found 1 proofs” and you have no rewards, you likely are having slow proof checks.

There is now a WARNING shown in the log (as a result of the above) about “something something if this happens more than 5 seconds, you lose.” Find that and if you see this a lot, that’s bad.

You should follow this. As you DS918+ is your main that should be the Farmer and a Harvester, as it has lots of storage. Then you hook up the HPZ440 and E3-1230v2 box as harvesters and plotters. Do not run multiple full nodes on the same network. It is also a resource waste to do so.

In short on this:

• DS918+ - Run the GUI
  • HPZ440 - Run the harvester via command line (if any local storage), run something like SWAR for plotting. Set destination directory to DS918+ if that is where the main storage is, and don’t run harvester if no local storage on that box
  • E3-1230v2 should be doing the same as above, harvester + plotter

As far as transferring over plots to your NAS with 1gbit, it fine. 10gbit won’t have a lot of upside for you if that’s your question.

The 1% plots, check your plotting logs. It will tell you why what happened and when. Check those.

Also stop using the GUI, scheduling via plotman or SWAR is highly superior.

2 Likes

Thank you for the answer

Plotting with: GitHub - swar/Swar-Chia-Plot-Manager: This is a Cross-Platform Plot Manager for Chia Plotting that is simple, easy-to-use, and reliable.

on the DS918+ you would not put Docker on it, but a virtual machine with Ubuntu Server? (The operating system is Synology’s own interface which only allows a few packages to be installed.)
Would you also integrate the NAS there via the network?

Or is there a GUI with the Docker version? :confused:

On the DS918+, it is really dealer’s choice here. You want to make this the full node and that can of course be done in the way you are proposing. As the DS918+ is not appropriate for plotting, making it the dedicated farmer is a given.

I’d probably be running Ubuntu Server (No GUI, CMD only) and just running the farmer and harvester via command line. Lowest utilization, very simple, etc. Then just view logs once in a while. GUI just provides a lot of good info in one place that I do appreciate. Not a lot of loss there.

1 Like