How can I optimize my system? (Beginner level stuff here)

I’d doesn’t matter what I’ve seen or who I know.

As you said before, its all math.
1000 plots is 1000 plots, rewards have the potential to be the same if you pool or solo.
Solo just gives you lots of little payments vs a few bigger ones.

This debate started because you stated it would never happen!
That is what I took issue with because its simply not true.
The potential is there, but luck plays its part.

Whales luck also doesn’t take luck away from solo farmers, another thing you’ve said.
Its untrue, and I’ve explained why.

If that was your point, and you had said that, I wouldn’t have responded as I did, but you started writing nonsense, that’s what I took issue with.

2 Likes

We are all saying the same thing in different ways. Your luck factor increases with the pool as you are getting partials. Yes they are small, but they do add up. Farming Solo with a small setup under 100TiB, your luck factor is much smaller than a large pool. Why hope for something that might happen vs something that will happen every day? Again, I have never heard of anyone with a small rig winning 4-6 coins? So ‘luck’ is a true word as a solo farmer, but your luck goes up exponentially with a large ‘good’ pool as you are getting winning every day. It has seriously come down to how much storage you have in a pool vs solo. There are hundreds of sad stories of people who have been in this since day one and won nothing, me included. Take away the low luck and go to something that will substantially increase your luck. I wish it was different, we all do. Chia did a bad job selling this to the every day person and they got burned. I viewed this as a three to five year project, min. Many thought they would win right away as the math at that time said so. Now the game has changed, Netscape exploded pushing the little guy out and the original formula to win was instant garbage. I feel the pain that I spent $6700 on my rig, so I decided to recoup by buying on the dips and let my farm, farm away and get me seven coins a year for free. Watch XCH grow, and the value will follow. I’m very bullish on Chia the company and the XCH coin will follow. IMHO.

I dont think so, bit ill not argue it.

Yes, pooling will allow the small guy to guarantee some rewards.
However it’s entirely possible that same small guy could get more or less if they were solo.
You may not have seen it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

I dont want payouts every day, it will make my accounting a nightmare vs having to price up a less regular bigger rewards.

That may be your perception I perceive it differently.

I dont agree with alot of what you’ve written, but its your opinion and I can respect that.
The thing I can’t respect is outright untruths.

In Flex pool, you can specify the amount at which point you will get your XCH. So, you can fine tune that number to have payments be daily, weekly, monthly, … (Just saying, not asking for reply.)

1 Like

On this one I am with Bones, your chance of winning z-XCH over y-time is the same with a pool or with solo farming. However, y needs to be a large value for this to become apparent.

I have 150 TiB now but have been linearly building my farm from June until now. I have been in a pool since official pooling began.

I have 2.01XCH farmed. 1.76 from pool rewards, and 0.25 as I did hit a block with my OP plots.

Had I been solo farming I would have 2.0XCH as I would have hit one block so far.

1 Like

Yes, thanks, I’ve seen ppl saying you don’t class crypto as yours till withdrawn from the pool.

I’m not sure on that, especially in the UK.

To my mind, if its in an account you have control over its yours and needs calculating then and there.

Ppl have said it isn’t so, but it certainly is so in the UK if your trading, and I see little difference.

If that is the case in UK, that’s really horrible. That would imply that you even cannot do your calculations based on when you get that 0.01 XCH, but rather track each time such pool wins a block, and you get a tiny share of that (the bigger the pool, the more those blocks - horrors).

I’m really not sure, if you cant physically withdraw it I doubt it would need calculating, but as soon as you could I would think it would need cost analysis at that point.

I always pay my crypto taxes, and the last thing I need is an investigation and fraud charges due to me holding crypto there and waiting for a price drop as Chris suggested I do.

Edit.
In fact, iirc what I read, I need to calculate as earnt, and mining in UK is seen as income for income tax.
It then becomes my asset, and if I sell it for more or less, that then comes under capital gains.

Complex enough as it is without having hundreds of tiny payments.

1 Like

If you had the luck, that is a might big if…You will never know.

So way off topic now but…is there any downside of joining a pool? I mean…we all throw in our space together and split the winnings, it seems like it’s all upside and no downside. I don’t understand why anybody would not join a pool from my current understanding.

Joe

Trust issues. Probably not all that problematic with official pools but the pool operator does have to manage the pool fairly.

Not wanting to be dependent on anyone else.

People with larger farms 500TB+ will get regular wins, which are encouraging. With a smaller farms you wont. I have 150 TB and its 2 months to win. So by pooling can I earn 2 XCH in 2 months - yes.

Yes but I do not believe in luck I believe in the mathematics of probability. Over time all “good luck” and “bad luck” averages out, presuming it is the result of genuine randomness and not the result of bad choices.

OK awesome, perfect, two options is just the number I need :slight_smile:

So if I take where I am right now, add 16GB ram to get to 32GB, add the WD Black drive into the m.2 nvme to PCIe adaptor from above…do you think I could do two plots at once getting my time down to about 3 hours with the stock plotter?

Joe

So maybe this isn’t a known thing? Or is it so obvious it’s not worth a response? Or maybe there response is…try it? Or maybe "why spend money on optimizing the stock plotter when you can just use madmax instead?

I should have made this multiple choice LOL

Joe

a) No
b) Yes
c) Yes
d) Yes
e) no need

2 Likes

The difference between plotting with stock plotter and madmax is like this.

Stock: make multiple plots at the same time, and see how many you can run at the same time without increasing the time per plot too much. The more you can plot in parallel, the more plots you finish in a day.
The time per plots will always be long, so it’s a game of optimizing number of plots running at the same time.

Madmax
make 1 plot at a time, try to do it s fast as possible.

So in the end you have to look at total plots finished per day, not the time per plot to compare MM and Stock

1 Like

Perfect LOL

How does that work? I’ve tried two in parallel and came in about 10 1/2 hours for 2 plots so 90 minutes faster than I was getting one at a time.

The time delay thing…how does that work? If I have a 500GB plotter drive then I can only do two at once so does my delay have to be about 5 1/2 hours between plots?

Just a quick defense of sticking with the stock plotter…it’s like, I almost understand it. I sorta get it. MM plotter…geeze I just don’t get it. Fortunately with the low price of chia I’m not in a hurry, if it takes a month to fill a big drive with plots…well, HD prices might actually come down a bit as I build out my little farm. I’m certainly impressed by you guys doing 30 minute plots but I don’t feel like I need that for what I’m doing.

However…I don’t need much convincing to buy a fast SSD and a little more memory because it’ll help my gaming rig as well as my chia farming. So that’s sorta an easy decision if it might help.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Joe

Pretty simple. Basically a memory/ssd thing. Say you plot to a 1tb ssd. Ok, three plot threads fit nicely on that at a time. So choose some stagger for best performance of memory and CPU, set one going, wait, set another, then another. Tell each to do umpteen repeats and let her rip… er I mean plot away. Plot to a 2tb, double the number of parallel threads you start, but watch memory use then. Of course you need to play with buckets to get best memory use. You can also use one or two extra ssds to help things along by specifying them in the GUI for each thread.

The stagger you use between threads determines how many plots/day you’ll eventually get. So 1 hr stagger, 24 plots/day; 2 hr stagger, 12 plots/day. Just make sure your memory use doesn’t exceed what you’ve got, and your CPU is up to it. Each thread added slows down a bit, but it’s all about thread finished/day.

The GUI plotter is pretty much like juggling a bunch of things to get the best result. Fun, but tedious. Or use some one of the plot managers to do all that for you.

1 Like

Forget about stock plotter. MadMax for Windows comes bundled with Plotman gui last time I checked. Should be fairly easy to use.

The bare minimum you need to upgrade is SSD dedicated for plotting. You can MadMax no problem with 16GB RAM.

Use thread multiplier = number your physical cores on CPU. 256 buckets for phase1 and 512 buckets for phase2.

Increasing RAM to 32 will not specifically help your MadMax. It only matters if you can get it to 128 so that you can use ramdisk.

Please ensure adequate cooling for your SSD. Plotting subjects it to an extreme sustained load. If you don’t cool it, it will cause thermal throttling and/or premature device failure. So ensure to use a heatsink with thermal pad on it, or better yet also blow a fan on it.
Same goes for CPU. Install HWINFO64 program and monitor CPU temps. If it gets to thermal throttling, you need a better cooling solution.

3 Likes

rfc2324 has a {good} point > Oct 12: completed 65 plots (all k32) (6.4 TiB) < MadMax :wink:

1 Like