If I get hacked are all my plots worthless?

Because all my plots are connected to a NFT owned by my address, so my only choice would be to replott since the hacker would just set up a script to ever second change the payout address to his own. Correct?

1 Like

I can’t be sure, but I don’t think it works this way.
Interesting question for pool operators to answer. I might even depend somewhat on how their software is running.

As far as I understand it you still need plots to earn profits.
Let’s say I have to houses and in each house I setup a computer with the same Chia keys.
I will then the same NFT in both setups because I use the same keys.
Now computer A has 10 plots with payout address A and computer B has 90 plots with payout address B.
I think this would result in 10% of earning going to address A and 90% to address B.

But again, I’m no developer so I’m not sure if this is actually how it works

I’m also not sure and hesitated responding.
I was told many times if you don’t have the plots you can’t affect the payout address, this made no sense to me, but I took it as fact as I kept getting told it, but that was referencing og plots.
Nft plots payout ( 1.75 ) is purely controlled by smart contract so a different kettle of fish ( feck, feeling old with a statement like that ).
Id imagine if hacked and keys compromised that would indeed be the case.
So I’m unsure…

I don’t think a NFT can have multiple payout addresses, how would that even work?

But I guess it could solved if only the farmer with the most plots gets to instruct the pool regarding payout adress. I wonder if this is implemented.

If not the hacker only needs to spin up a node without any plot and spam the pool with instructions to send payouts to his wallet

It could theoretically if 2 ppl had the pvt key in a wallet and changed it. The first one to claim the block would win, but the more I think about it, if you didn’t have the plots I doubt you’d be first.
Tough Q, and I can’t give a solid answer
Actually, no it can’t it can have 1 and takes iirc 30 mins to change.
But can more than one entity change it if they have access to pvt key, I’d bet yes, regardless of plot count its only a smart contract.

I also thought that when someone has my keys, the game is over.

However, some people indicated that “local pools” are just a local construct (kept in config.yaml) file. Although, when @Aspy68 had his issues, someone mentioned that all pools are saved in the blockchain, and those local entries are just to speed up the code (cached values).

So, if those “local pools” are stored in the blockchain, then the question would be whether it would be possible to pair your wallet with your local pools. If that is possible, then any manipulation of pools/wallet addresses are possible.

I have never transferred my full node to another box. However, if such transfer doesn’t require moving config.yaml, or all db folders, then that would indicate that having keys gives one access to everything.

Maybe this is a question for keybase?

To be more clear, as my verbiage is for sure wrong, when someone creates “Plot NFT” to me that is kind of a “local pool.” (Maybe a better name would be a “local set.”) Once that is created, one can decide how to pair that local pool, either as a self-pool, or with a “big” pool (i.e., Flex, Space, …).

I would also assume, that when we are doing OG plots, those also belong to an implicit local pool, to make the software be more uniform.

Update:
Sorry, I was wrong about that cold wallet being worthless. That wallet has different keys, so we are assuming that those cold wallet keys are not lifted. What I should say is that such script has capabilities to override any new cold wallet settings for those local pools, as such rendering the farm worthless (as OP stated).

hmm yes this does seem to make more sense with OG plots as the NFt is a smart contract and you have to claim the rewards from there.

I think that is the case, as your farmer is only operating with what is in the config.yaml, not going after the blockchain to get all the info. Assuming that it would go after the blockchain, your “local pool” on your setup A would be different from those in setup B, as such it will not see any local plots that belong to setup B, thus that 90:10% ratio.

Not sure myself just thinking out loud. would advise to ask this in keybase as lots of pool operators and chia devs are there. Love love to have a conclusive answer to this as well.

As far as I can tell though an NFT is not mutable unless it is “spent” for instance when you switch pools you have to spend 1 mojo to effect the change, The old NFT is destroyed and a new one is created with the new instructions.
But you can change the payout address without spending a mojo which would seem to indicate that this info is not stored in the blockchain but communicated by the farmer to the pool.
A pool constantly send checks to your farmer to determine the contribution you are making so it knows how many plots are tied to that specific farmer, that’s how i assumed it would split the rewards accordingly if you would use different reward addresses in two nodes with the same private key.