Is it worth for my farm to replot?

Hi there,

iam a chia farmer since around 2 years now. I replotted my k32 plots for pooling ability.
My farm is sitting on around 2000 k32 plots. My farming pc is also the plotting pc.
Specs: 32GB RAM, 1x 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 M.2 2280, 2x 1TB Corsair Force Series M.2
(all 3 plotting nvmes have around 50-60% life left), AMD R9 5900x, ultrasmall gpu (geforce gt710 lp something). Asrock X570 Taichi Board, Win10 on extra SSD. Chia 2.1.1 .
Wattage complete farming system: around 140 Watt

Now my question is: is it worth to replot to compressed plots? perhaps with a used GTX 3060 12GB gpu ? what compression ? I have to pay alot for electricity (iam from germany), so is it worth to farm with a additional GPU and how much more electricity will the system burn, while farming compressed plots?
Do i need more hardware besides a GPU for plotting? Or will my M.2 nvmes do the job?

Can i plot under Win10, or have i to switch to linux for gigahorse 2.0 ???

its soo complicatet to me :frowning:

thx for help! (also some usefull links)

cheers

1 Like

You do not have to change anything to re-plot.
Compressed plots are smaller. A more powerful GPU is not needed to re-plot. A CPU can re-plot on its own. It will just be much faster to re-plot with a powerful GPU.

The GPU is key for harvesting.
Just about any system can create compressed plots. But at modest to high compression levels, you will need the power of a good GPU to harvest those compressed plots.

Plotting tends to be faster with Lunix. If you are comfortable with Linux, then take advantage of its faster plotting times.

As to the power usage…
Compressed plots will make your GPU consume more power. How much more depends on your specific GPU, the number of plots, and the compression level you choose for your compressed plots.

Is it worth using that extra power?
Lots of people seem to think so, as lots of people have re-plotted. But I do not know what percentage of farmers (of the net space) they make up overall. And I do not know what they pay for electricity.

Perhaps others can fill in the parts that I did not, such as the net space used by Gigahorse and NoSSD. But is there a way to identify the percentage of people that re-plotted using the official Chia app?

This link provides information on the official Chia app:

Gigahorse and NoSSD provide higher compression levels (smaller plot sizes).

Here’s a link for information on Gigahorse compression:

2 Likes

See the 4060 gpu.

Faster and using less energy.

Price is about the same for a new one.

2 Likes

I have “only” 64 GB of RAM an no dedicated GPU. I would like to make some compressed plots with the official CHIA Client with that amount of RAM and with a CPU. Is there a chance that we’ll see this option soon? I am stll waiting and nothing happens :frowning:

I think it’s very unlikely we’ll see any changes to the Bladebit plotter.

You can also farm on the CPU wich needs less electricity than a GPU. I user C5 plot compression level for that gives me over 20% more plots.

As a new gigahorse convert it is absolutely worth it. For one gigahorse plots extremely fast. While you will use more power in the plotting process, the plotting process will take far less time. I my case a 3060ti with 512 GB of ram I did 24 Terabytes in 22 hours. For me, from using the bladebit plotter that doesn’t give you the option of writing to a fast ssd and then to disk (this holds up plot creation while it finishes the write to disk) it is like hitting light speed. It would have taken 3 days with blade it. While more compression does require a tad more electricity the savings in buying disks as well as being more likely to win a block are greater. As for farming we are talking blips of a gpu requiring more electricity. This is why i went with a 3060 ti, good Cuda core count and only one power plug. Max draw 200 watts. I have monitored it and the most I have witnessed is 140 watts for a very short period while plotting. 90% of the time it was near 100 watts.
While a 4060 is more efficient and more powerful it is also more expensive.

Bladebit writes to whatever destination you give it, in my case my fast SSD array, I then used my plot mover program to move the plots from the SSD to multiple locations, no different to what I did with GH.

Please. Don’t remind me of attempting to utilize plow. :sob::sob::sob::joy::sweat_smile::rofl:Ubuntu and plow hate me. I’m sure others have had great success and it is an amazing piece of software. It is smarter than I am apparently. Hell you even wrote your own!

For exactly the reason you state, Plow and Plot sink just looked far too complicated, especially as I couldn’t get Linux to see any Windows shares.

1 Like

Thx for all answers so far.

So it seems to be worth it. My plan is to replot under linux (windows wont work as far i heard) . I bought a 4060. I have use for that gpu anyways, also if i stop the project.

With new gigahorse plotter C17 should be fine?

And another question: iam on spacepool atm. Can i stay there with the new compressed plots or do i need another pool and is it possible to mix compressed and uncrompressed plots while harvesting in one (the same) pool ?

Linux is better for plotting, as it’s much quicker.
C17 really depends how much raw space you are plotting
Yes you can stay on the same pool
As long as you’re using the most recent version of GH it will farm uncompressed NFT plots, BB compressed plots and of course GH compressed plots

1 Like