Let's try to find the unluckiest among us

Taking bets now on how many plots I’ll have before I get my first block reward :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I should hit 500 plots later on tonight if you are looking for the highest risk option.

• < 500
  • 500 to 750
  • 750 to 1000
  • 1000 to 1500
  • 1500+
  • you will never get a block reward

0 voters

3 Likes

My current strategy is to do remote harvesters until their local connected disk is full, then I move the disk to my one full node, which is a nice and powerful iMac pro. This is at least satisfying because I can see my time to win estimate on the full node take big drop when I connect another 12TB drive and in the logs I can see a sub-1 second response time on proof attempts.

This remote harvesting thing is great in theory, but when you are spending real money on storage and CPUs and the Chia UI gives you no green light “Yes it’s working, you can relax now” feedback, moving physical disks around feels better.

3 Likes

Sorry to the 2 people that voted < 500 in that poll

3 Likes

Well, I’m patiently plotting still on all my spare hardware. Slow going but that’s fine. 53 plots now and of course no rewards yet. But this just happened for the first time!

2 plots were eligible (but in 0.3 seconds got rejected haha). Maybe somewhere in about 3 months I’ll get lucky. Really just happy that everything is running pretty smoothly now, so I can just wait for more plots to finalize.

2 Likes

That is more weird than unlucky

Same here:

So looks normal to me.

I also keep checking the plots just to make sure I don’t have any corrupted ones.

Are you grepping for ‘1 plots’ or are you. getting 1 plot eligible constantly? :slight_smile:

I had a similar issue, check my post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/chia/comments/mpbwmy/finally_found_a_block_and_i_will_never_received/

Long story short, I never received that block.
Devs told me that I was connected to low quality nodes.

I’m grepping for anything except “0 plots”.
Most of my plots are above 1 when I run the “chia plot checks” command. I only have one 0.6 that will be replaced once I finish filling my 8TB external drive.

Not sure if the proof check is important or not, but I see lots of “1 plots” and some “2 plots”.
Considering that I got 2 XCH with only 2.4TB, maybe it matters. Or maybe I just was lucky.

1 Like

So I found this error for the 2nd time in the logs, this time for a different plot:

Not sure if this is actually a bad plot file as I originally thought, since the plot is ok doing chia plots check. Maybe this is actually a legit bug? It’s already been reported and on the developer trello but might report another instance of it once I triage my own setup. Switching from fedora to ubuntu and copying everything over to one machine with externals.

@eresende Re-check that one with -n 100 or even -n 250. It should get closer to 1. I had a couple that were .63 and IIRC one of them even went above 1 with -n 100. Use -g to add a filter to limit the check to just that plot.

chia plots check -n 100 -g "[string filter]"

Use part of the plot name instead of [string filter]. I usually just copy / paste the hash or plot id or whatever it’s called.

1 Like

Agreed. After 15 days of unsuccessful farming with remote harvesters and network attached disks I did a fresh install today and just have the 1 full node now. A lot less complexity for potential issues with this setup. My new stretegy will be to fill an external drive from either of my 4 plotters, then shuck the drive and insert into my 36 bay supermicro server running the full node. Sucks to not be able to farm freshly plotted plots but I like the simplicity as you said.

1 Like

On a much smaller scale, this is what I’ve been doing with a couple spare laptops. With a fast enough external drive over thunderbolt it’s quick enough to not matter, especially with the netspace growth out of control anyway.

1 Like

I messed up a single letter in my mount…wiped a drive with 6 plots on it today :grimacing:

3 Likes

My sympathies. Here’s a hug. :hugs:
What about undelete/unformat/partition recovery?

so what did you do with the transfered plots through network? you delete all of it and start over again or keep it anyway? Is there any clean way to check if the plots are legible or not? I ploted some plots on the second machine and put directly the directory in a shared folder on the main one, they are both synced as full node and i see all the plots are counted anyway but not sure if they are good to challenges. Thank you.

@andrew I really hope you get a chia soon!!! My god, this is insane. Now I don’t feel that unlucky… but still…

I’m at:

A couple of days ago I thought: “maybe something is not running well on my node”. But after checking the logs, nothing. All good :frowning:

Hi, i’ve just got my first coin, so very excited about that, but is there a way to check through the log file which plot ( or directory of plots) that won. Here’s reason: I started with one machine, generated about 40 plots, after that, i got another PC, which was stronger and i move all of my plots to this one, since then, my first PC just generate plots and put them directely on the second one and farming on it, the problem is that i run both with full node, now i got 100 plots more but dont know if these plots are good or not. That’s why i would like to find which plot won the prize to make sure if two machines at the moment work or not. Thank you.

Well, 19 days later, and at about 235 plots, I got another chia reward finally last night! Nice validating surprise to wake up to, and to finally truly know that there’s nothing odd going on with my farming.

Hang in there everyone!

8 Likes

Nope. There’s no way of knowing which plot won yet.

You can “check” them using the chia plots check command.

1 Like