Lookup times too high combined USB and LSI JBOD

I have started a discussion about adding this feature here for anyone that wants to chime in. Maybe we can get the chia team to make it a feature.

2 Likes

I just posted this in GH (might be my first post there):

I second the request. I have spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the long lookup times barking up the wrong tree (USB hubs, USB extension cables, Win power mgmt, Win indexing, virus scan, bios settings, windows updates, task scheduler, LSI HBA card firmware update, overloading Ivy Bridge pc, internet speed, home network load) and finally diagnosed it to a particular HDD that actually appears ok in SMART reports.

Removing the offending HDD eliminated the warning messages for long lookup times. I probably could have done something more systematic use a spreadsheet or 3rd party program to see which HDD comes up the most in long lookup times, but after eyeballing the warning messages, it was able to find out which HDD was slow. I probably should check it out using HDtune now.

1 Like

This has happened again. Another of my 6TB SAS drives started going bad. Looking back at this post helped me find it quickly. I caught it early so the entire stripe set was not trash. Just moved all the plots off (except for 5 that were corrupt). Used HDTune to find the specific drive because it wasn’t even showing issues in Disk Management (yet). As HDTune was running its test, Disk Management finally tagged it as a problem. Now replacing the drive with a spare that I bought when I replaced the first one. Will move plots back later today. Nice not needing to replot the entire 167 plots.

3 Likes