Lost my internet connection for 2 hours, and now syncing is dragging

That doesn’t sound good. Your peer connections look good. You are getting data from over half of those connected nodes. So, not that you are being stuck, but rather something else is at play.

Let’s try one more squeeze.

1. modify that peer count down to 3, so you should have just your farmer, your wallet and three peers.
  2. open Task Manager and expand Chia entry. It should be right there at the top. Once you expand, it should have 10-20 processes
  3. exit Chia
  4. wait till all of those processes will disappear, as well as the Chia that was holding them
  5. if they will not disappear after a couple of minutes, right click one chia process at the end of that list and select “end task”, wait 5 seconds, and repeat it until all are gone (including the main Chia). (I think that the farmer is the key, but still would go from the bottom)
  6. once they are all gone, start chia
  7. check whether your total number of those rows is 5. It may take a couple of minutes or so
  8. write down the difference in your sync
  9. wait for about 15 minutes, check the difference, and post it here. post a screenshot (exclude your farmer / wallet - I think that there is nothing there to hide (but may be I am wrong), but if that makes you feel better, why not, as it doesn’t change anything, we are not looking at those two)

Also, there is another post on the forum that talks about potential network problems right now. Chris from Flex chimed in, and mentioned that the network has some problems. My node dropped the number of peers down to 8, but it is still running kind of OK (it is synced, and no stales). Maybe you just got caught between a rock and a hard place (like Larry before), and whatever is going on with the network is amplifying your problem.

What kind of makes me think that maybe the problem is your blockchain db is that Larry’s box is about as powerful as yours. He was trying to sync for about a week, and it was not going anywhere. Yes, he moved his db to an NVMe to help that syncing process, but I kind of suspect that maybe killing his db fixed that problem (of course that NVMe helped). So, maybe v1.2.9 is just more prone to db corruption.

Usually, when you are careful (shut a given program properly), and don’t have power outages, your db should close cleanly. However, when your background process that sits on that db is not shutting down, reboot is basically crashing that process, thus there is a chance of db corruption. Unfortunately, chia doesn’t have clean shutdowns. Also, if you restart chia, while not all processes got killed, you will end up potentially with an orphaned farmer that sits on that db, and that is no good as well.

Another thing is that looking at what was fixed after dust storm, to me those changes indicate that db was badly mishandled in previous versions, as such db corruptions could be happening while chia was happily running (on all those previous versions).

Maybe with changes in protocol to add CAT1, those corruptions while running chia are just more pronounced.

Sorry, I don’t have a good explanation for why those problems are there, except crap code around db.

1 Like