Mad Max cryptocurrency - The Chia Plot

Now the question you should ask yourself is why farmr is being discontinued and not picked up by someone else to support Chia? What other tools out there provide the information that farmr did?

2 Likes

My farming machine is running on simple sata ssd which is more than 5 years old. My farm never had an issue during dust storms. You donā€™t need to be a whale.

Are you under the impression that Chia and MMX are built for the same purpose? Perhaps learn what MMX is all about by following this link and reading a bit. It offers a good, concise explanation of MMX in a few bullet points. Rather than speak for Max, please read this link that summaries the MMX projectā€™s ā€œDesign and Featuresā€ā€¦

mmx-node

MMX is a blockchain written from scratch, using proven logic from Chiaā€™s Proof of Space and improved SHA256 VDF similar to Solana.

Youā€™ll see that, vs what Chia is all about, there are very significant differences between the two. Obviously they are both a blockchain built on similar concepts. But IMHO there the similarities end.

Nowā€¦ so consider that Chia is a blockchain that, as I see it, needs 3rd parties to utilize it to be useful and its success depend on that. Then consider that "Native MMX is designed with the properties and usage of an actual currency". Very very different use cases.

Beyond that is the fact that MMX is considerably faster, and more efficient in implementation using (thou not requiring) GPU based plotting and farming, and that it is under active development (in TestNet), while improving and being fine tuned with an active and growing testnet base.

The fact that Max is and has been lending his programming skills to help Chia Inc over time., is certainly showing his support for both efforts. Chia would not be even where it is today without his efforts.

Will either ultimately succeed? Anyoneā€™s guess for reasons we all know. But certainly MMX is a different bet than Chiaā€™s XCH.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve already read all that, I still donā€™t see the point. There are other cryptocurrencies that do the same thing. It feels like a marginal improvement for marginal gains.

Max made a big contribution in a niche aspect of Chia (plot file creation), heā€™s not the reason Chia is succesful today.

It is a very different bet, one that many cryptocurrency miners have taken since 2009, and weā€™ve seen how that badly that usually goes. I donā€™t see why I should take that bet, doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m right, I just donā€™t see the upside.

1 Like

1 Like

Thatā€™s hilarious, without plots there is no chia, without Max youā€™d still be plotting hours per plot as Bram tired to diss it (like he does every 3rd party dev breakthrough) as dangerous. He is the reason chia got off itā€™s ass.

4 Likes

This is not entirely true at all. Parallel plotting was a thing with the OG plotter.

I like what Chia is doing outside of us farmers. The farming isnā€™t that big a deal for Chia Corp, we are doing it because it is so lucrative. Chia corp doesnā€™t really need to worry about providing for farmers when they have over 100,000 of us when they really only need a tenth of it.
What Chia does need to worry about is competition in their space. The MMX coin is definitely an excellent competitor and needs to be supported. Itā€™s speed and overall excellence is something that I might throw a few TB at to support and see what happens.

1 Like

This just goes to show how little you know about blockchain technology and what proof of space time is. Making a plotting software is not the same level of involvement as making a new blockchain based on a new type of mathematical proof that had to be invented (VDF).

Most forks and new blockchain projects are very low value-added, and prey on people who donā€™t know what theyā€™re talking about, to invest their hard earned money (that will be ā€œstolenā€ one way or another). MMX is simply trying to be the main competitor of Chia on the PoST space, and they might succeed since the competition is low. But itā€™s not going to be the huge revolution that people talk about (you just have to look at Bitcoin Cash if you donā€™t believe me) or a nice get rich quick scheme.

I still expect Chia to have the biggest Netspace after MMX launch and in the coming years, and Chia to be the highest value PoST coin. Just look at Chives or other PoST networks, they arenā€™t around anymore, yet everybody was saying how ā€œbetterā€ it is than Chia. Storj and Sia donā€™t have bigger netspace, and Filecoin is catching up but not beating the Netspace of Chia (and you have to spend a lot of money to be granted that space, which is in itself a ponzi-like scheme).

The stakes are very low to post your opinion online, everybody can do it, ā€œtalk is cheapā€. Nothing that was said here convinced me that Max is a genius or that MMX is the best new business in town. Iā€™m just replying here not to convince you and other people who ā€œopposeā€ me with their arguments, but simply because uneducated new-comers might be led to believe that the MMX is the new Bitcoin (it isnā€™t) and they will get rich from it (they wonā€™t).

Do your research !

2 Likes

Also Harold made a new plotter too, Max isnā€™t the only other contributor to plotting software.

Could be very worth it in the beginning, the difficulty being able to sell when no exchange allows it. Depending on the timing of MMX launch, the market will go up (stimulated by the 4-year halving cycle of BTC) and it could be sold at even more inflated prices. Long term tho Chia is the first and biggest network and will enjoy the benefits of its position in the market, mining chia should remain the most profitable and secure option.

Letā€™s see what Max will come up with to beat LN on BTC and Sharding on ETH, and other PoS networks too, in terms of transaction throughput. Maybe heā€™ll improve MMX beyond my expectations !

1 Like

The Plots are the proof of time and space my friend, without them you do not have a proof of time and space blockchain.

Itā€™s ā€œhilariousā€ that you think a plot proves ā€œtimeā€. Anyway, as I said previously, you donā€™t know much. Have fun mining MMX, let me know how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a slow morning and decided I wanted to see where everyone on this chain was coming from. I scraped 100 IP addresses and looked them up for a small sampling of the ecosystem, itā€™s fairly predictable for anyone thatā€™s been into coins:
Russian Federation 26%
China 16%
USA 16%
Canada 4%
Germany 4%
Australia 3%
Netherlands 3%
Czechia 2%
Romania 2%
Spain 2%
Taiwan 2%
Ukraine 2%
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 2%
Argentina 1%
Cambodia 1%
Croatia 1%
Finland 1%
Hungary 1%
Indonesia 1%
Italy 1%
Korea (Republic of) 1%
Latvia 1%
Lithuania 1%
New Zealand 1%
Serbia 1%
Slovenia 1%
Thailand 1%
Uruguay 1%
Viet Nam 1%

I tried to not double count dynamic IP addresses from the same city twice, and I bet this will look a lot cleaner with a larger sample size (I think I found my project for the week).

Bonus points to this guy (IP redacted): Russian Federation, Rostovskaya oblastā€™ City: Rostov-na-Donu for earning the naughty spammer award lol: "Recently reported forum spam source. (11) "

3 Likes
Country State/Region City
Russian Federation Permskiy kray Kungur
Russian Federation Leningradskaya oblastā€™ Agalatovo
Russian Federation Primorskiy kray Gornyye Klyuchi
Ukraine Kyiv Kiev
United States Colorado Fort Collins
United States Kentucky Murray
Russian Federation Moskva Moscow
Serbia Kosovsko-Mitrovacki Pristina
United States Texas Houston
Russian Federation Chelyabinskaya oblastā€™ Chelyabinsk
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland England Colchester
Australia Queensland Maroochydore
United States New Jersey Piscataway
United States Idaho Nampa
Finland Uusimaa Helsinki
Australia Queensland Brisbane
United States North Carolina Raleigh
Russian Federation Moskovskaya oblastā€™ Krasnozavodsk
Russian Federation Murmanskaya oblastā€™ Murmansk
Netherlands Noord-Brabant Eindhoven
Germany Bayern Gunzenhausen
Latvia Riga Riga
Canada Manitoba Minnedosa
United States California Pomona
Hungary Somogy Balatonlelle
Russian Federation Chelyabinskaya oblastā€™ Minā€™yar
Russian Federation Tulā€™skaya oblastā€™ Tula
Netherlands Noord-Holland Amsterdam
United States California Cerritos
Russian Federation Moskovskaya oblastā€™ Podolā€™sk
United States Rhode Island Providence
United States Washington Bremerton
Romania Ilfov Jilava
Germany Bayern Ingolstadt
Slovenia Puconci Puconci
Canada Quebec Montreal
China Jiangsu Nantong
United States Florida Wellington
New Zealand Auckland Auckland
Russian Federation Leningradskaya oblastā€™ Murino
China Jiangsu Changzhou
China Jiangsu Nanjing
China Shanghai Shanghai
Croatia Varazdinska zupanija Varazdin
Canada Nova Scotia Halifax
Czechia Praha, Hlavni mesto Prague
Spain Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid
United States Wisconsin Madison
Viet Nam Ha Noi Hanoi
Lithuania Vilniaus apskritis Vilnius
China Zhejiang Wenzhou
Romania Timis Lugoj
Australia Western Australia Perth
China Jiangsu Nanjing
United States North Carolina Charlotte
Germany Niedersachsen Hanover
China Beijing Beijing
Russian Federation Rostovskaya oblastā€™ Rostov-na-Donu
China Zhejiang Jinhua
China Zhejiang Taizhou
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland England Haywards Heath
Netherlands Noord-Holland Amsterdam
China Fujian Quanzhou
Argentina Cordoba Cordoba
Russian Federation Volgogradskaya oblastā€™ Volgograd
China Sichuan Chengdu
China Guangdong Shenzhen
United States Illinois Naperville
United States Florida Inverness
Ukraine Kyiv Kiev
Russian Federation Tatarstan, Respublika Kazan
Spain Castilla-La Mancha Guadalajara
Korea (Republic of) Gyeonggi-do Seongnam
Cambodia Phnom Penh Phnom Penh
China Liaoning Dalian
Russian Federation Kirovskaya oblastā€™ Kirov
Czechia Karlovarsky kraj Chodov
Taiwan Hualien Hualien
China Shanghai Shanghai
United States Michigan Flint
Uruguay Montevideo Montevideo
Russian Federation Khanty-Mansiyskiy avtonomnyy okrug Kogalym
Italy Toscana Florence
Canada British Columbia Burnaby
Indonesia Jawa Barat Bekasi
Russian Federation Moskovskaya oblastā€™ Zhukovskiy
Taiwan Taoyuan Taoyuan
Russian Federation Rostovskaya oblastā€™ Rostov-na-Donu
China Zhejiang Jiaxing
Russian Federation Kaliningradskaya oblastā€™ Kaliningrad
Germany Saarland Saarbrucken
Russian Federation Bryanskaya oblastā€™ Bryansk
Thailand Krung Thep Maha Bangkok
China Beijing Beijing
3 Likes

im also collecting IPs for finding when orpahn chains show up. Mash them with the farmer logs using my network server/jbod. do you think this data its worth anything?

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œninroi, post:114, topic:15031, full:trueā€] do you think this data its worth anything?
[/quote]

Financially probably not - building a website takes a lot of time and has hosting costs. I think most devs that invested in side projects ended up never breaking even (donations or ad revenue). Even looking at our fearless leaderā€™s donation address for the original Madmax plotter on the Chia sideā€¦ way too low and he basically replotted all of our farms!!

For the knowledge though, or helping a fellow farmer or two along the way? I think itā€™d be a great idea to work with data and see what you get.