Missing signage points meaning and cause

Hi there,

Chia newb enthusiast here. I run it on PC with some internal and external drives but don’t know any advanced stuff and don’t follow the project too closely.
I have recently upgraded my chia client to version 2.0 and after a few days, I’ve noticed that the farm section now displays Missing signage points: 30.
Can someone please explain to me what the “Missing signage points” concept is and what the cause for that could be? Or at least refer me to some well-explained documentation, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’m wondering the same thing.

I don’t think anyone really knows, I’ve seen explanations that it could be a broadband/internet issues.

General consensus seems to be as long as the daily total is not high don’t worry about it. I usually have a few now and then, and click reset.

could be something like “stale” in mining days? if two farmers, hit the same block…the slower lost/missed signage point

1 Like

@Captain_Plots-a-lot you are something else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

if you experience those while self_pooling then most probably your setup/hardware has an issue or two.

if you pooling ask for support from your pool guys.

Yes, I am self pooling. Do you have any advice on the steps I should take to figure out if there are issues with my setup?

lets start with the logs shall we?

I love the discussion!

1 Like

I’ve got 28 missing signage points in 24 hours, but what should I be looking for in the logs?

Searching for “missing” results in nothing. Log level is set to info.

if there is none then where do you see them?

On the GUI,

1. chrs

ohh gui … good luck with that :slight_smile:

I’ll probably stop using the GUI when the higher compression GH plots come out.

i gave up so i did, furthermore i think I finally found the culprit for downgrading the rewards rating - the gui.

since i quit it i back to normal with my usual rewards ratio

Maybe the logs contain “missed”, rather than “missing”?
Search for “miss”, case insensitive.

I do not know if that will match any hits. But it is worth a look.

Good idea, but…

I opened all logs in Notepad++, searched all open documents for “miss”, case insensitive, only hits were 7 results as below, so none the wiser.

Line  96860: 2023-08-18T22:28:39.293 farmer chia.plot_sync.receiver    : INFO     reset: node_id removed_node_id, current_sync: [state 0, sync_id 0, next_message_id 0, plots_processed 0, plots_total 0, delta [valid +0/-0, invalid +0/-0, keys missing: +0/-0, duplicates: +0/-0], time_done None]
	Line 113254: 2023-08-19T00:58:59.343 farmer chia.plot_sync.receiver    : INFO     reset: node_id removed_node_id, current_sync: [state 0, sync_id 0, next_message_id 0, plots_processed 0, plots_total 0, delta [valid +0/-0, invalid +0/-0, keys missing: +0/-0, duplicates: +0/-0], time_done None]
	Line 186983: 2023-08-20T19:25:23.990 farmer chia.plot_sync.receiver    : INFO     reset: node_id removed_node_id, current_sync: [state 0, sync_id 0, next_message_id 0, plots_processed 0, plots_total 0, delta [valid +0/-0, invalid +0/-0, keys missing: +0/-0, duplicates: +0/-0], time_done None]
	Line 230269: 2023-08-21T19:07:20.318 farmer chia.plot_sync.receiver    : INFO     reset: node_id removed_node_id, current_sync: [state 0, sync_id 0, next_message_id 0, plots_processed 0, plots_total 0, delta [valid +0/-0, invalid +0/-0, keys missing: +0/-0, duplicates: +0/-0], time_done None]
  C:\Users\ChiaMining\.chia\mainnet\log\debug.log.3 (2 hits)
	Line 200031: 2023-09-09T13:19:01.061 farmer chia.plot_sync.receiver    : INFO     reset: node_id removed_node_id, current_sync: [state 0, sync_id 0, next_message_id 0, plots_processed 0, plots_total 0, delta [valid +0/-0, invalid +0/-0, keys missing: +0/-0, duplicates: +0/-0], time_done None]
	Line 210568: 2023-09-09T23:34:17.827 farmer chia.plot_sync.receiver    : INFO     reset: node_id removed_node_id, current_sync: [state 0, sync_id 0, next_message_id 0, plots_processed 0, plots_total 0, delta [valid +0/-0, invalid +0/-0, keys missing: +0/-0, duplicates: +0/-0], time_done None]
  C:\Users\ChiaMining\.chia\mainnet\log\debug.log.6 (1 hit)
	Line 165153: 2023-08-25T19:53:54.203 farmer chia.plot_sync.receiver    : INFO     reset: node_id removed_node_id, current_sync: [state 0, sync_id 0, next_message_id 0, plots_processed 0, plots_total 0, delta [valid +0/-0, invalid +0/-0, keys missing: +0/-0, duplicates: +0/-0], time_done None]

cat .chia/.../log/debug.log | grep ERROR

if there is no error, second issue is usually old GPUs if you use one. I have Quadro M4400, which appears to be farming but there is no load in nvtop

If you use MS Windows, the whole system is ERROR

if you are 100% sure your rig is properly setup…do clean chia reinstall…there are still many bugs that do weird things.

Using a 3060. Apart from resetting the total I’ve done nothing, and had no missing signage points for a few days.

Sorry, I don’t take much notice of people which have such a blinkered view of Windows! I on the other hand appreciate people have a choice, and all OSes have their negatives and positive, but please let’s not get into that argument, I use what I use for reasons. That’s Linux for plotting, and Windows for everything else.

on DOS since 1994
on Win since v1.0
Linux since 2002
FreeBSD/macOS since 2011

Win is good only for games that do not exist on Linux/macOS yet, CAD, CAM…everything else Unix-like systems :stuck_out_tongue: