Moving from Windows to Ubuntu - Have some questions

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BSZL39NH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3A5W4Q2L5GNMH&psc=1

The price is pretty much the same as on their own website

1 Like

Tech on Tech is listed as the seller.
That is the same as buying directly from their web site.

I own only 2 drives from them, purchased on Amazon, and never needed to make a warranty claim.
But I am 99.99999% certain that it will have the same 2-year warranty, from the same people, providing the same service.

Their phone number is listed on their web site, and they answer their phone.
You can be 100% sure if you call them.

1 Like

thanks sounds great. I have bought 8 from them and they are working fine… Got bunch of amazon gift card balance on my account

1 Like

So ive spent the weekend getting my drives from Windows to Ubuntu. Startet transfering files from the NTFS filesystem to the Ext4 linux file system.

My drives are 38x K34 and 2x K33, so a total of 40 plots.

I was only able to transfer 37 of the 40 plots from the NTFS drive to the Ext4 drive. Anything I am doing wrong or is the NTFS file system able to have more plots? :slight_smile:

1 Like

When you format a drive don’t forget to add -m 0 to remove reserve space.
sudo mkfs.ext4 -m 0 -T largefile4 /dev/sdX

2 Likes

thanks, anything i can write in the command to give the disk a name? ex “plot2”

Just search the forum for mkfs

mkfs.ext4 -I 128 -m 0 -N 10000 -O ^has_journal,extent -L PARTITION_NAME -F -T largefile4 /dev/sd??PARTITION

1 Like

thanks, anything i can write in the command to give the disk a name? ex “plot2”

Yes, use -L diskname

1 Like

My drives are only 18TB, is ext4 a bad filesystem to use for maxing out chia plots?

ext4 is just fine. 18TB should be able to hold 165 normal k32 plots.

1 Like

bad idea to go with the k34 files?

Nice, i tried this and now the drive are formatted. Only problem is that it is write protected. How do I fix this? ;p

sudo chown yourusername /dev/sdX

1 Like

you have any good command to copy files from one harddrive to another? W

This linux stuff is kinda hard, but im getting to like tha command line ;p, just takes a while to get used to lol ;p

One more thing:

Ive formatted the 18 TB drive with this command:

“mkfs.ext4 -I 128 -m 0 -N 10000 -O ^has_journal,extent -L plot2 -F -T largefile4 /dev/sdb”

When i try to copy files from one of my NTFS drives to the new Ext drive I get this error:

"Error while copying to “plot2”

There is not enough space on the destination. Try to remove files to make space

16,4 more space is required to copy to the destination"

Anything I am doing wrong?

Edit:

When I right click to properties i get that the free space is 1,5 TB, but the disk are empty?

When you run mkfs, you run it as root, so partition will belong to root (do ls -la to get ownership - left side). When you run as a normal used, you most likely have only read permissions to such partition, so you will not be able to write to it anymore. So, once such drive is mounted, and the file structure is there, run:

chown -R kenny:kenny YOUR_MOUNT_POINT

This will switch all privileges to you as a user, thus you will be able to write to it.

By the way, you are not restricting root, as that is a super user, so doesn’t care much about those privileges (in case you need to do more work as a root).

Actually, another thing that you may want to check is what permissions you have, and eventually change those. You may want to have 0700 permissions on the directory structure, but only 0600 on plots.

chmod -R 0700 MOUNT_POINT

However, you want to run that command on an empty drive (right after you format it and put your plot folders there), as folders need '‘x’ permission to be able to see the content, but the same permission is being used as execute permission for a file. So, any malicious thing can hijack such file (with x and w permissions).

1 Like

Thanks alot!

Got it working now.

Still one problem thou ;p.

Ive moved the files through the GUI, but I have to write down my password everytime it start to transfer a new file lol ;p. Any way I can make this automatic with terminal command?

Edit:
Have tried with the “sudo mv /dev/sdX /dev/sdX” command but nothing happends ;p

What I wrote above (chmod, chown) is assuming that everything is done by the same user (as I used 0700 for chmod). So, the question is which process is writing and which process is reading and from where.

You should either completely switch to running all of it as a root (what is not really a good thing to do), or be careful how you generate a user (on different boxes). Users are identified not by names but rather by IDs, so usually on a similar systems they will have the same numbers, so when drive is moved from one box to another, even though the user name is different, it will still be picked up as if that user created that file. You can check those IDs in /etc/passwd.

I guess, you are being screwed right now as the plotter is running as sudo (what is bad), while you log in to the box as kenny. That is most likely why the explorer is asking you for your password.

So, you would need to provide a bit more info to be able to understand what problem you have.

By the way, you cannot use mv command like you wrote above. Those /dev/sdA things are device names that are not actionable by mv (I think, but I have never tried it). You should do something like:

mv /MOUNT_POINT_A/PATH_A/MY_PLOT /MOUNT_POINT_B/PATH_B/.

Although, as frustrating as it is, it is just a standard die by thousands of paper cuts Linux thing. As other people mentioned, there are some advantages for running the plotter under Linux (designed / tested by Linux devs), but for a harvester or a node, H/W will compensate for code deficiencies on Win side. So, I would go for what you are most comfortable with. In my case, I followed the same thing - node on Win, plotter on Linux, as the plotter code was crapping on dual socket mobo under Win.

1 Like

Ok, i ll guess il just transfer one by one ;p.

Most comfortable with Windows, but I want to learn linux :slight_smile:

Just set up this computer for chia harvesting, so I only created one user :).

The plots are not in any folder, I just put them straight in to the disk :slight_smile:

Edit:

sudo mv /media/kekke/New Volume/Plot1 /mnt/8239f95a-xxxxx-xxx-xxx

Would that be the way to go?

I didn’t say that you should not learn, far from that. Rather, my point was not to mix learning with production. So, you could easily run most on Win, and setup one remote Linux harvester that would sit on a couple of plots, and play with that one. :slight_smile:

Well, when you have spaces in those names, you have to either use quotes, or backslash them. Otherwise, each thing after the space will be used as yet another src / dst.

1. fix your chmod to not use sudo
  2. mv “/media/kekke/New Volume/Plot1” /mnt/8239f95a-xxxxx-xxx-xxx

You can use

touch "/media/kekke/New Volume/junk.txt"

first to see whether your user has permission to write to the src folder. If it doesn’t, it will not remove the file from src once the move will end. You need only read permission to start the mv process, but it will barf at the end (cannot remote src).

So, do also:

in your current (dst) folder 
ls -la

and the same on your src folder
ls -la "/media/kekke/New Volume/"

Check whether the users are the same on “.” / “your file to be moved”

1 Like