NetApp DS4486 Question

Usually when I say Sas is better, I’m talking about the interface, cables, hba, etc for expandability and reliability. not the drives themselves.
Between sas and sata drives, I have no idea. Most of my drives are Sata. Cheap is good for Chia.

If you can get a good del on a sata only Jbod…go for it, If you have the choice, go with Sas as it keeps your options open.

1 Like

Seems like you’re just looking for a fight (as I correctly guessed). Reported and ignored.

I clearly stated the reason for my question. You just got crazy defensive because you can’t back up your statement with evidence.

Voodoo’s response was great BTW.

I have an awful eSata expander and it has terrible performance when loading plots but once they are up it is fine for farming.

USB 2, fine for farming, despite what that aspy guy was saying. Miss him.

SATA and SAS are both high end, don’t worry about it

The IT industry uses SAS, it’s not “my opinion” lol. Reported again, and will report again every time you keep answering off-topic or to come at me. Get a life.

Works fine but not scalable at all, I would still go for USB3.

Eh, no. They’re both better than external, but for internals Sata hits the limits of scale, simplicity, maintenance, etc. pretty quickly. If you’re buying rackable servers, you’re better off going with SAS, which is why I warned the OP about this specific ad being for a Sata version of the Netapp server.

The “IT industry” has very different requirements than Chia farming. That’s my whole point. You still can’t articulate your position other than to act like an unhinged petulant child.

Keep reporting me.

1 Like

Chillax guys, I think you both have a point, no need for further arguing here.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t see his point beside “SAS is not superior”. There is no arguments here, just attacks and sly comments from this 69 gentleman.

Unfortunately this forum has grown into a cesspool of hatred and bigotry. I can’t wait for admins to come back and ban those uncivilized people who can’t help themselves (or for Chia to revoke the forum’s license as is Sargonas’ plan).

You want to help people make good purchase decisions, and you end up being driven out of the discussion by pointless arguments…

1 Like

ENOUGH, You tried crying over in Discord and were told basically to hit the bricks. That they can’t and won’t spend any money. All you do is poke and cry. So Now I’m telling you, do you want to become somebodys project? Go find someplace else if you don’t like it here. For me you provide nothing!

1 Like

And all you do is come and harass me on every thread :slight_smile: Reported again for this answer of yours that adds nothing to the conversation. Keep it classy!

What you said is factually wrong and you’re trying to spread misinformation, CNI is actively trying to resolve the issue and are indeed looking into revoking the forum’s license (I’ve linked to the specific Discord messages from Sargonas in the thread).

I don’t see it.

Re: SAS. It is clearly better but it is like asking “I am using a TV to prop my door open, should I get gold plated HDMI cables?”

The ability to hold the door open isn’t affected by quality of the hdmi cable

In the same way that

SAS vs SATA doesn’t affect farming

I just threw out my SAS so I may be biased

They even talked about the state of this forum on the Chia AMA…

For example see how Max (who made the Madmax plotter/farmer) getting trolled and leaving here :

Or go 3 replies above this one and see drhicom lashing out at me?

That’s really not the consensus, there’s plenty of examples here and elsewhere :

I can’t believe just how silly the petty bickering is getting. SAS is superior to SATA, try plugging SAS into a SATA port and see what happens, now plug SATA into SAS and it will work, therefore its superior.

SATA runs at a maximum of 600MB/sec
SAS, if you chose the correct variant will run at 1200 MB/sec
Use the SATA JBOD, and it will only work with SATA drive.
USA a SAS JBOD and it will work with both!

Clearly it is superior.

Nope, there is no need for those speeds with Chia, or for the benefits of SAS but if building a big farm then offloading plots at higher speed it could be beneficial. Connecting multiple drives to a HBA and SAS expander is much easier in my opinion than mucking about with SATA expanders.

We all build our own farms and should do ou own research and decide what to use, and we’ll all learn along the way, and no matter what one persons opinion is, someone else will always have a differing opinion!

1 Like

I was pointing out to OP that this server is Sata, which is unusual for a server, and thus won’t be as good as the SAS version. Which is completely reasonable, and something I’d like for another member of this forum to do for me too.

I guess some people just like to attack those who don’t think like them or give in their tantrums, even when they have been given multiple reasonable answers :man_shrugging: What a sad state of affair this forum…

Just to clarify, SAS / SATA are data protocols used to connect some boxes to HDs. In JBOD context, SAS / SATA can be interpreted as:

1. external access (from another controller or to another JBOD controller)
  2. controller
  3. backplane
  4. trays
  5. HDs

Mixing those things while claiming some general things doesn’t make any sense.

Here are the data sheets for that NetApp DS4486 - https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1113327, https://www.netapp.com/pdf.html?item=/media/19959-ds-3096.pdf.

I would also like to note the bolded part (by me) of that eBay listing - “NetApp DS4486 Disk Array 24x Dual SATA Trays 48x 3.5 Drive Expansion Array JBOD”

So, clearly that JBOD has SAS external connection. It also have SAS controllers. I have no reason to doubt that the backplanes are SAS.

However, per that listing trays may be SATA only. So, if needed to switch to SAS drives, one tray at a time can be swapped to support both SAS and SATA drives.

Also, those controllers support up to 6 Gbps data rates for both SAS and SATA drives, basically supporting SATA III data rates.

So, that is as SAS / SATA JBOD as any other DS4486 JBOD out there. The only difference are cosmetics, trays I mean.

2 Likes

considering all my drives are sata it could work for me… but moving forward if I started buying 50 drives at a time from horizon, which I assume are going to be sas, then I wouldn’t be buying one of these. Good point I didn’t even notice it was sata only at first.

1 Like

oh so its just the trays that are sata on that one? I’m learning alot reading through the comments… getting some laughs too :slight_smile:

I run DS4246’s and I have a DS2246. I have a mix of SATA and SAS drives. They all daisy chain and run into an HBA card in the server.